Prove by induction that nCk is always a natural number

In summary, the homework statement is that to prove by induction that \binom{n}{k} is always a natural number, all you need is that (6 5) and (6 4) are integers.
nietzsche

Homework Statement

Prove by induction that [tex]\binom{n}{k}[/tex] is always a natural number.

Homework Equations

The problem requires that we use the fact that
[tex]\binom{n+1}{k}=\binom{n}{k-1}+\binom{n}{k}\tag{1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the first part of this question requires a proof of (1), which was easy enough just using
[tex]\binom{n}{k}=\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}[/tex]

What I'm not sure of is how to perform the induction. I took the base case of n=1.
[tex]\binom{1}{0}=1[/tex]
[tex]\binom{1}{1}=1[/tex]

and from (1) we obtain that, with n=1, k=1,
[tex]\binom{n+1}{k}=\binom{2}{1}=1+1=2[/tex]

Can I now say that [tex]\binom{n+1}{k}[/tex] is always the sum of two natural numbers, and is therefore natural?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nietzsche! :smile:

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill :redface:

to prove (7 5) is an integer, all you need is that (6 5) and (6 4) are integers …

so just be systematic in what order you do the proof

(and remember it doesn't work for k = 0, so you have to prove it for all (n 0) separately, not just for (1 0) :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
Hi nietzsche! :smile:

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill :redface:

to prove (7 5) is an integer, all you need is that (6 5) and (6 4) are integers …

so just be systematic in what order you do the proof

(and remember it doesn't work for k = 0, so you have to prove it for all (n 0) separately, not just for (1 0) :wink:)

I've no clue as to how to prove that (6 5) and (6 4) are integers. Do I still have to consider a base case of n=1? This question is driving me mad.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=61891

I found this, which is the same question. According to this,

[tex]
\text{Let }n=0.
\text{ If }k=0,
\binom{0}{0} = 1
\text{ (by definition)}
\text{ and if }k \not= 0,
\binom{0}{k} = 0
\text{ (by definition).}
[/tex]
[tex]
\text{Since}
\binom{n+1}{k} = \binom{n}{k-1}+\binom{n}{k},
\text{ it follows from induction that for all }
n, \binom{n}{k}
\text{is an integer.}
[/tex]

Not sure if what I'm saying is valid. What do yall think?

Yes, if you're happy with (n k) = 0 for n < k, then that proof is correct.

But you need to specify the ordering …

Start: "It works for n = 0 and for any k, and then by induction on n … " :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Yes, if you're happy with (n k) = 0 for n < k, then that proof is correct.

But you need to specify the ordering …

Start: "It works for n = 0 and for any k, and then by induction on n … " :smile:

Thank you very much.

1. What is the concept of mathematical induction?

The concept of mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove that a statement or formula is true for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement is true for a base case, typically n=1, and then showing that if the statement is true for n=k, it must also be true for n=k+1.

2. How does mathematical induction relate to the proof of nCk being a natural number?

To prove that nCk is always a natural number, we can use mathematical induction on the variable k. First, we show that nC1, or the combination of n objects taken 1 at a time, is a natural number. Then, we assume that nCk is a natural number and use this assumption to prove that nC(k+1), or the combination of n objects taken k+1 at a time, is also a natural number.

3. What is the base case for proving nCk is always a natural number?

The base case for proving that nCk is a natural number is when k=1. In this case, nC1 is simply n, which is a natural number. This serves as the starting point for our proof by induction.

4. How does the induction step work in proving nCk is a natural number?

The induction step involves using the assumption that nCk is a natural number to prove that nC(k+1) is also a natural number. This is done by expanding the expression for nC(k+1) using the formula for combinations, and then using the assumption to show that each term in the expansion is a natural number.

5. Can mathematical induction be used to prove other statements involving natural numbers?

Yes, mathematical induction can be used to prove various statements and formulas involving natural numbers. It is a powerful proof technique that is commonly used in mathematics and computer science to show that a statement is true for all natural numbers.