Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove or find counterexamples

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    ..using only the definition of the binary product:

for any sets A, B, C in a universe U:

(A x B) x C = A x (B x C)

I have no clue how to even get started with this one. Somebody help me please!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2
    Typically you would want to show that both inclusions are true....but in this case.....is the element [tex]((a,b),c) = (a,(b,c))[/tex] ?

4. Dec 1, 2008 #3
    Yes, they're equal. It's called the Associative Property of Multiplication.

The property which states that for all real numbers a, b, and c, their product is always the same, regardless of their grouping:
    (a . b) . c = a . (b . c)

5. Dec 1, 2008 #4
    I'm sorry..I didn't read the your post correctly if that's the case..was thinking cartesian product.

6. Dec 2, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then please go back and ask whatever question you are REALLY asking. In your original post, A, B, and C are sets. Now you are telling us that they are real numbers. Also in your first post you asked about proving "A x(B x C)= (A x B)x C" but now you are saying that is the "Associative Property of Multiplication" which apparently you are accepting as true. At this point, I have no idea what your question really is!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?