Prove that All unavoidable things are not always fate

• Thread starter Phrynichos
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is centered around the definition of fate as something that is unavoidable and the question of whether all unavoidable things are always fate. The conversation touches on the concept of randomness and how it may contradict the idea of a prescribed order of things that is inherent in the definition of fate. The participants also discuss the possibility of avoiding an outcome that is considered fate by having prior knowledge. The expert summarizer questions the logic in this conversation and suggests that the original definition of fate may not be entirely accurate.
Phrynichos
greetings

Lately I have been wondering what "fate" encompasses. I am going to start with a definition.

Fate- something that is unavoidable. the prescribed order of things.
(Dictionary.com)

So, according to this definition, Fate is something that is unavoidable. I am going to re-write this thus:

If it is fate, then it is unavoidable.

By definition, this is true. But, how about the converse?

If it is unavoidable, then it is fate.

At first, you might say "yes , it is true". But in what sense is this meant? You mean one of the following:

1.) Yes, it is always true.
2.) Yes, it is neccesarily true.
3.) Yes, it is generally true.
4.) Yes, it is sometimes true.

Which one do you mean, exactly? I am only concerned with #1 and #2. If you agree with these, then you are saying the statement is a tautology, so every single form of the statement is always true (converse, negation, contrapositive...etc). I am only concerned with the case in which the converse is true...which assumes that is is always, neccesarily (i.e., inherently) true that all unavoidable things are fate.

So I have been trying to contradict the idea that the converse is always true. Why? Simply because I am curious. My question is therefore: Are all unavoidable things fate?

Here is one attempt to disprove it.

First of all, keep the second part of the definition for Fate in your thoughts...it was "the prescribed order of things" (which are unchangeable, therefore unavoidable).

Taken literally, the concept "unavoidable" encompasses everything that is not preventable. Now, the key is the word "everything". According to Chaos theory, the concept of entropy, quantum mechanics, etc, we know that randomness is inherent in everything. In particular, chaos theory tells us that randomness is an emergent property of an underlying order. Therefore, at a certain point of emergence, things are no longer predictable, and are purely random. If things are purely random at a particular point in the process of emergence, then the prescribed order which underlies the randomness is an approximation of the nature of that randomness...in other words, in a state of pure randomness, things are unpredictable from ALL prespectives, by definition. The definition of fate lies under the assumption that there is a preexisting order of things such that something is unavoidable, which means that the event was ALWAYS unavoidable. If an event is ALWAYS unavoidable, then from an early stage in the development of a given emergent system (which goes from a state of order to a state of randomness) has always had the end product of that unavoidable event. But this is a contradiction, because the end product of that emergent system would a occur in a state of randomness, in which case something "unavoidable or unchangeable" would not exist because of the nature of randomness.

[sigh] I'm pretty sure the logic here is flawed. if you can think of a contradicting statement to "all unavoidable things are fate", please suggest it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I disagree with your definition of fate. Fate isn't unavoidable. Most people view fate as foreshadowing. If you have prior knowledge, you can most certainly avoid the subsequent outcome from coming to fruition.

This isn't MY definition of fate, it's an accepted definition from dictionary.com.
So based on that definition, is it possible to refute the statement that all unavoidable things are not always fate?

Phrynichos said:
This isn't MY definition of fate, it's an accepted definition from dictionary.com.
So based on that definition, is it possible to refute the statement that all unavoidable things are not always fate?
The original definition tells you that the word "fate" has the same meaning as the phrase "something unavoidable". It tells you that these terms are equivalent. You are the one who changes this equivalence into an implication when you say that "fate" implies "something unavoidable" but not necessarily the reverse, it's not what the definition was initially telling you.

1. What is the definition of unavoidable things?

Unavoidable things are events or circumstances that are impossible to prevent or avoid.

2. How is fate related to unavoidable things?

Fate is the belief that all events and outcomes are predetermined and inevitable. Therefore, some may argue that unavoidable things are a result of fate.

3. Can you provide an example of an unavoidable thing that is not fate?

Yes, natural disasters such as earthquakes or hurricanes can be considered unavoidable things, but they are not predetermined by fate. They are a result of natural processes and conditions.

4. Do unavoidable things always have negative consequences?

No, not all unavoidable things have negative consequences. For example, aging is an unavoidable process, but it is not necessarily negative.

5. How can you prove that all unavoidable things are not always fate?

It is not possible to prove that all unavoidable things are not always fate, as it is a philosophical belief. However, one could argue that there are many factors that contribute to unavoidable things, such as chance, free will, and natural processes, and not everything can be attributed to fate.