Prove that if x,y, and z are integers and

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integers
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
24 replies · 3K views
Bashyboy
Messages
1,419
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


Prove that if x,y, and z are integers and xyz=1, then x=y=z=1 or two equal -1 and the other is 1.

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


Clearly, if I plug in 1 for each variable, or -1 in for two variables and 1 for the remaining variable, then the equation is satisfied. But how do I know these are the only solutions? This is precisely what I am trying to show. How do I sufficiently demonstrate this?

I thought of writing the equation as ##z = \frac{1}{xy}##. But how do I show that, for any choice of integers x and y, besides 1 and -1, z will never be an integer, but a rational number?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure; I imagine that it would probably be dependent upon certain circumstances, such as the present one, that xyz=1. Is that right?
 
Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
I am not sure; I imagine that it would probably be dependent upon certain circumstances, such as the present one, that xyz=1. Is that right?
If x has a factor p, what does that equation tell you?
 
That you should be able to divide both sides by p...? I am not certain.
 
If x> 1 then xyz> yz so yz must be less than 1.
If x< -1 then xyz< yz so yz must be larger than -1.

Of course, none of x, y, or z can be 0.
 
Would there be a way to show that ##\frac{1}{xy}## is always a rational number, for integers x and y?
 
HallsofIvy said:
If x> 1 then xyz> yz
That's not exactly right since yz could be negative.
Bashyboy said:
Would there be a way to show that ##\frac{1}{xy}## is always a rational number, for integers x and y?
As long as x and y are nonzero integers, it clearly is by definition. But how is that useful here? Stick with the factors hint. If a*b = c and p is a factor of a, what can you say about p and c?
 
Well, I was thinking that this would show that there are no other integer solutions, besides the ones we already mentioned.
 
Bashyboy said:
Well, I was thinking that this would show that there are no other integer solutions, besides the ones we already mentioned.
Proving a number is rational does not mean it is not an integer.
 
Are not integers those rational numbers whose denominator is one? Well, if x and y are not one, then the denominator of 1/xy would never be one, right?
 
To make this a little more precise, I would have to show that the only solutions to ##xy = 1## are 1 and -1. Here is my proof

##xy = 1##

##x^2 y = x##

##x^2 y - x = 0##

##x(y-1) = 0##

This implies that x=0 or y-1 = 0. But x cannot be 0, as this would not satisfy the equation. Hence, it must be true that ##y-1 = 0 \implies y=1##. If y=1, then ##x \cdot 1 = 1 \implies x =1##. Notice, however, that I do not get the negative one solution. What is wrong with my proof?
 
##x^2 y - x \ne x(y-1)##
 
Ah, yes. I see. So, proving xy=1 is, I imagine, similar to proving that xyz=1. Now, supposing I could prove that xy= 1 implies x=y=1 or x=y=-1, would what I said in this post

Bashyboy said:
Are not integers those rational numbers whose denominator is one? Well, if x and y are not one, then the denominator of 1/xy would never be one, right?

still be valid?
 
Bashyboy said:
Are not integers those rational numbers whose denominator is one? Well, if x and y are not one, then the denominator of 1/xy would never be one, right?
Yes, if you add that step it works, but it is rather a long way round. Do try to answer my question about factors.
 
Okay, allow me to summarize things. If ##xy=1## is true, then this basically states that 1 can be factored into two integers ##x## and ##y##; and if ##x## or ##y## can be factored into integers, these must also be factors off 1.

Couldn't I just stop at the fact that ##xy=1## indicates that 1 can be factored into the product of two integers, list all of the possible factorizations of 1, whereby I will know what ##x## and ##y## can be?

The only objection that I see is, how do I know that the only factorizations of 1, involving only two integers, are ##1 \cdot 1## and ##(-1)(-1)##?
 
Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
Okay, allow me to summarize things. If ##xy=1## is true, then this basically states that 1 can be factored into two integers ##x## and ##y##; and if ##x## or ##y## can be factored into integers, these must also be factors off 1.

Couldn't I just stop at the fact that ##xy=1## indicates that 1 can be factored into the product of two integers, list all of the possible factorizations of 1, whereby I will know what ##x## and ##y## can be?

The only objection that I see is, how do I know that the only factorizations of 1, involving only two integers, are ##1 \cdot 1## and ##(-1)(-1)##?
Think about the magnitudes of xy, x and y. This is the hint Halls gave you in post #6.
 
Bashyboy said:
I thought of writing the equation as ##z = \frac{1}{xy}##. But how do I show that, for any choice of integers x and y, besides 1 and -1, z will never be an integer, but a rational number?

Integers are rational numbers.

Consider:

(1) The product of two integers is an integer.
(2) There is no integer [itex]n[/itex] such that [itex]0 < n < 1[/itex].
(3) For every real [itex]x[/itex], if [itex]x > 1[/itex] then [itex]0 < 1/x < 1[/itex].

What can you conclude about [itex]1/|xy|[/itex] if [itex]|xy| > 1[/itex]?
 
pasmith said:
Integers are rational numbers.

In post #11, I used the fact that integers those rational numbers whose denominator is one. Then I determined for what integers ##x## and ##y## was ##xy = 1##, and found that the only solutions were 1 and -1, meaning that, when ##x \ne \pm 1## and ##y \ne \pm 1##, ##\frac{1}{xy}## will never be an integer.

pasmith said:
Consider:

(1) The product of two integers is an integer.
(2) There is no integer nn such that 0<n<10 < n < 1.
(3) For every real xx, if x>1x > 1 then 0<1/x<10 < 1/x < 1.

What can you conclude about 1/|xy|1/|xy| if |xy|>1|xy| > 1?

If ##x## and ##y## both non-zero integers and both are not ##\pm 1##, then ##xy## is some integer and ##|xy|## is the magnitude and is greater than ##1##. By result (3), this means that ##\frac{1}{|xy|}## must be within ##0## and ##1##. Result (2) states that it is impossible for ##\frac{1}{|xy|}## to be an integer, because there are no integers between ##0## and ##1##.