1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that n^5 - 5n^3 + 4n is divisible by 120:

1. Jan 15, 2007 #1
    i need to prove that [itex]n^5 - 5n^3 + 4n[/itex] is divisible by 120 where n is a natural number. i can prove that using induction. but it got really long using induction. so i tried the following

by factoring i got,

[tex]n^5 - 5n^3 + 4n = (n-2)(n-1)n(n+1)(n+2)[/tex]

now, to prove that it is divisible by 120, i have to prove that it is divisible by 3, 5 and 8. it is definitely divisible by 3 and 5 since it is a product of five consecutive natural numbers. also, at least one of the 5 factors is divisible by 4 (lets call it p) and at least two of the factors are divisible by 2 (one of them is p and the other one is p+2 or p-2). so p(p-2) or p(p+2) is divisible by 8. and now we can say that [itex]n^5 - 5n^3 + 4n[/itex] is divisible by 3, 5 and 8 and hence by 120.

what i want to know is whether there is anything wrong with my reasoning.

thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2007 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Your reasoning looks fine with the minor exception of the statement "it is a product of five consecutive natural numbers" which is not true for n less than two. But regardless, if you just replace "natural numbers" with "integers", everything goes through.

4. Jan 15, 2007 #3
    Math induction method easily solves such problems.

5. Jan 15, 2007 #4
    Another "hybrid" method would be to prove using induction the statement "the product of 5 consecutive natural numbers is divisible by 120".

6. Jan 16, 2007 #5
    thanks a lot.

7. Jan 16, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Heres a hint: Its the multiplication of 5 consecutive integers, and 5! =120 :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?