Prove that S lies on the line AB

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary: On the diagram, it seems that ASB is a straight line because QPA and QRB are tangent to the circle that has its center also a circumcenter of triangle PSR. However, if we know beforehand that $AB$ is a tangent to the circle at $S$, then S certainly lies on AB, and there is nothing to be proved...what do you think?(Smile)If we draw a tangent from S, it would form an acute angle $60^{\circ}$ with RS. Since the tangent at S and QRB forms the same angle with RS, they must intersect at the same point.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let $PQRS$ be a rhombus with $\angle Q=60^{\circ}$. $M$ is a point inside triangle $PSR$ such that $\angle PMR=120^{\circ}$. Let lines $QP$ and $RM$ intersect at $A$ and lines $QR$ and $PM$ intersect at $B$. Prove that $S$ lies on the line $AB$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Let $PQRS$ be a rhombus with $\angle Q=60^{\circ}$. $M$ is a point inside triangle $PSR$ such that $\angle PMR=120^{\circ}$. Let lines $QP$ and $RM$ intersect at $A$ and lines $QR$ and $PM$ intersect at $B$. Prove that $S$ lies on the line $AB$.

Since $PQRS$ is a rhombus, we have $\angle PQR=\angle PSR=60^{\circ}$.

It can be easily seen that $M$ is the circumcentre of $\Delta PSR$ and $\Delta PSR$ is an equilateral triangle.

Also, $QPA$ and $QRB$ are tangents to the circumcircle of $\Delta PSR$.

Hence, $\angle PSA=60^{\circ}$ and $\angle RSB=60^{\circ}$.

The angles $\angle PSA,\angle PSR$ and $\angle RSB$ sum to $180^{\circ}$, hence $S$ lies on$AB$.

Pranav said:
Since $PQRS$ is a rhombus, we have $\angle PQR=\angle PSR=60^{\circ}$.

It can be easily seen that $M$ is the circumcentre of $\Delta PSR$ and $\Delta PSR$ is an equilateral triangle.

Also, $QPA$ and $QRB$ are tangents to the circumcircle of $\Delta PSR$.

Hence, $\angle PSA=60^{\circ}$ and $\angle RSB=60^{\circ}$.

The angles $\angle PSA,\angle PSR$ and $\angle RSB$ sum to $180^{\circ}$, hence $S$ lies on$AB$.

Thanks for participating, Pranav!:)

But...I don't follow your reasoning because I don't understand why the equilateral triangle $PSR$ and that $QPA$ and $QRB$ are tangents to the circumcircle of $\Delta PSR$ imply $\angle PSA=60^{\circ}$ and $\angle RSB=60^{\circ}$.

I am definitely not saying your approach is wrong, it just that I don't get it, could you elaborate more on that, please? :eek:

Given the line ${AB}$ is tangent to the circle at $S$, there is a theorem that states:

The angle between a tangent (${AB}$) and a chord (${PS}$) is equal to an angle subtended by the chord ($\angle PRS$).

Since $\angle PRS$ is 60 degrees since it is part of an equilateral triangle, so is angle $ASP$. The argument for angle $BSR$ being 60 degrees is analogous.

magneto said:
Given the line ${AB}$ is tangent to the circle at $S$, there is a theorem that states:...

Thanks for replying, magneto but, as far as I can tell, if we know beforehand that $AB$ is a tangent to the circle at $S$, then S certainly lies on AB, and there is nothing to be proved...what do you think?(Smile)

anemone said:
I am definitely not saying your approach is wrong, it just that I don't get it, could you elaborate more on that, please? :eek:

Sure! :)

Do you agree that $M$ is the circumcentre of $PSR$? If so, it can be easily shown that the lines are tangent.

I hope that helps.

Pranav said:
Sure! :)

Do you agree that $M$ is the circumcentre of $PSR$? If so, it can be easily shown that the lines are tangent.

I hope that helps.

Yes, I can see QPA and QRB are tangent to the circle which has its center also a circumcenter of triangle PSR, I just don't understand why that implies the angles of ASP, RSB as 60 degree and hence ASB is a straight line. I admit that I don't see how this is obvious for me.(Tmi)

anemone said:
Yes, I can see QPA and QRB are tangent to the circle which has its center also a circumcenter of triangle PSR, I just don't understand why that implies the angles of ASP, RSB as 60 degree and hence ASB is a straight line. I admit that I don't see how this is obvious for me.(Tmi)

33kf6vc.png

(The diagram isn't too accurate, sorry about that. :eek: )

If we draw a tangent from S, it would form an acute angle $60^{\circ}$ with RS. Since the tangent at S and QRB forms the same angle with RS, they must intersect at the same point.

If you are not satisfied, I am not sure, you can assume that tangent at S intersect PM at B' and then prove BB'=0 or BM=B'M.

I hope it helps. :)

Hey Pranav, I see it now.:eek: Thanks for all the clarification posts and thank you for participating!

What does it mean to prove that S lies on the line AB?

Proving that S lies on the line AB means to provide evidence or a logical argument that shows that point S is located on the line segment AB.

What are the steps to prove that S lies on the line AB?

The steps to prove that S lies on the line AB may vary depending on the specific problem, but generally involve identifying the coordinates or equations of the line and point, and using mathematical principles such as the slope formula or distance formula to show that the point satisfies the conditions of being on the line.

How do I know if S is on the line AB?

If S is on the line AB, then it will satisfy the equation of the line or have the same coordinates as a point on the line. Additionally, if the slope of the line passing through A and B is the same as the slope of the line passing through A and S, then S lies on the line AB.

What if my calculations show that S does not lie on the line AB?

If your calculations show that S does not lie on the line AB, then you may have made an error in your calculations. Double check your work and make sure you are using the correct equations and coordinates for the line and point.

Can I use other methods to prove that S lies on the line AB?

Yes, there are various methods for proving that a point lies on a line. Some other methods include using geometric constructions or using the concept of collinearity (all points on a line are collinear).