1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a complex Force derivation with CalcConfused

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If we know F(t) the force as a function of time for straight line motion, Newton's second law gives us a(t) the acceleration as a function of time. We can then integrate a(t) to find v(t) and x(t). However, suppose we know F(v) instead. a) The net force on a body moving along the x-axis equals -Cv[itex]^{2}[/itex]. Use Newton's second law written as ƩF = m [itex]\stackrel{dv}{dt}[/itex] and two integrations to show that x - x0 = (m/C) ln(v0/v). b) Show that Newton's second law can be written as ƩF = m*v*[itex]\stackrel{dv}{dx}[/itex]. Derive the same expression in part (a) using this form of the second law and one integration.

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma
    F(v) = -Cv^2

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first part a), I had no idea so I started to differentiate the answer to try and get a method for simplifying it originally. The problem I encounter is that at X, If I take the 2nd derivative of the function I get a(t) = m/Cv^2, which seems impossible because you cant do that with -Cv^2 = m dv/dt. I solved that for dv/dt but i get nowhere really. I'm extremely stumped. Any pointers in the right direction would be extremely useful.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2
    For part a, you already know that

F = ma
    F(v) = -Cv[itex]^{2}[/itex]

We can then write the following:

ma = -Cv[itex]^{2}[/itex]
    a = [itex]\frac{-Cv^2}{m}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-Cv^2}{m}[/itex]

Next I will express [itex]\frac{-C}{m}[/itex] as some other constant to simplify the algebra. So let [itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-C}{m}[/itex].

[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\alpha v^2[/itex]

We can then use the method of separation of variables from ordinary differential equations to write:

[itex]\frac{dv}{v^2}[/itex] = [itex]\alpha dt[/itex]

[itex]\int \frac{dv}{v^2}[/itex] = [itex]\alpha \int dt[/itex]

You should be able to solve this integral for an expression for v. Then, if you isolate v you will be able to write v = dx/dt and repeat this procedure to find an expression for x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook