Proving a conjecture in complex analysis

In summary, the conversation is about proving the existence of a curve and a real number that satisfy a given relation involving an integral with a complex integrand. The poles of the integrand are specified as non-negative integers, and the speaker is unsure of how to proceed with finding a specific example to prove the existence. They consider using residue calculations and sums of residues, but note that this may not always work in the complex plane.
Mandelbroth
How would I go about proving that, for a curve in the complex plane ##\alpha## and a real number ##\beta##,

$$\exists\alpha,\beta: \frac{x}{2\pi i}\int\limits_\alpha \frac{\Gamma(z+\frac{1}{2})\Gamma(-z)x^{\beta z}}{\Gamma(\frac{3}{2}-z)}\, dz = \arctan{x}?$$

The poles of the integrand are ##z_0\in\left\{-(n+\frac{1}{2}), n, n+\frac{3}{2}\right\}## for a non-negative integer n. This is as far as I've gotten in terms of work. I can't think where to go from here. I don't know if it's true, but either way I intend to prove or disprove it.

And then, if I can prove the existence of a curve and a real number that satisfy the relation, how might I find those?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry. I'm bumping the thread. I still have no idea where to go. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It seems like the only way you are going to prove existence is to find a specific example. If you can calculate the residue at each pole as a function of x and beta, hope there's an obvious subset which when summed over yields arctan(x) (having a list of different infinite sums which yields arctan(x) would help for this part).Thinking about it some more you might be able to get away with existence without construction if the sum of the residues diverges. For example if the nth pole had a residue of 1/n, and you wanted the integral to equal 2, then there is some combination of poles that you could use to get the residues to sum to 2 without explicitly knowing what they are. But in the complex plane this isn't always going to work - for example if every residue has a positive real and complex part, you can't add them up in a way to make the imaginary part go to zero to get to arctan(x). But if there's some nice sign switching going on it might be do-able

Last edited:

1. How do you prove a conjecture in complex analysis?

To prove a conjecture in complex analysis, you typically start by assuming the conjecture is true and then use mathematical reasoning and techniques to show that it holds in all cases and situations. This often involves using the properties of complex numbers and functions, as well as various theorems and definitions in complex analysis.

2. What is a conjecture in complex analysis?

A conjecture in complex analysis is a statement or proposition that is believed to be true but has not yet been proven. It is essentially a hypothesis that has not been confirmed through rigorous mathematical proof.

3. How do you know when a conjecture in complex analysis is proven?

A conjecture in complex analysis is considered proven when a rigorous mathematical proof has been provided that shows it to be true in all cases and situations. This proof must be logical, well-structured, and based on accepted mathematical principles and techniques. It should also be able to withstand scrutiny and critique from other mathematicians.

4. What are some common techniques used to prove conjectures in complex analysis?

Some common techniques used to prove conjectures in complex analysis include proof by contradiction, proof by induction, direct proof, and proof by counterexample. These techniques often involve manipulating complex numbers and functions, using algebraic and geometric properties, and applying various theorems and definitions in complex analysis.

5. How long does it take to prove a conjecture in complex analysis?

The amount of time it takes to prove a conjecture in complex analysis can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the conjecture, the available techniques and resources, and the skills and expertise of the mathematician working on it. Some conjectures may be proven in a matter of days or weeks, while others may take years or even decades to be proven.