1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a mathematical statement

1. Jan 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There exists a number m, which is an element of the positive integers, that for all positive integers n, n+m can be divided by 3. Prove whether this statement is true or false.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I ran into a similar question earlier on, which just had the initial part reversed (as in, for all positive integers n there is a positive integer m so that n+m is divisible by 3). I proved that statement by letting m = 2n, and then 3n / 3 = n, which is a positive integer, proving that n+m is divisible. However, I don't understand why reversing the initial condition suddenly makes the entire statement false. Can I not do the same m = 2n idea to prove this statement? Could anyone explain why this is? Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

m cannot depend on n here.
    If such an m would exist, you would have to be able to say "m=1245" for example.

4. Jan 24, 2015 #3
    Ohh, so you're saying that m would be like a constant value, whereas in the other case it could be a variable? How exactly does the order play into this?

5. Jan 24, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The order is in the statement.

"There is a number m [such] that for all integers n, ..." => fixed m, and then for all integers n something has to be true.
    "For every n there is an integer m" => m can depend on n.

6. Jan 24, 2015 #5
    Ohh, I see, thank you so much for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted