Proving Congruence Modulo 5 for Powers of n

  • Thread starter Thread starter knowLittle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
knowLittle
Messages
307
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Suppose n is an integer which is not a divisor of 5.
Prove that ##n^{4} \equiv 1 mod5##

The Attempt at a Solution


I know that 16 mod 5 is equivalent to 1 mod5.

##16 = 2^{4}##

2 is not a divisor of 5. How do I prove this for the general case?

I know
##n^{4} -1 = 5k, ## for some k ##\in Z##
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi knowLittle! :smile:

(you mean, not a multiple of 5 ! :wink:)
knowLittle said:
I know
##n^{4} -1 = 5k, ## for some k ##\in Z##

if you know that, then that's just another way of saying ##n^{4} \equiv 1 mod5##

(otherwise, you know it for n = 2, and obviously for n = 1, so how many more cases do you need to prove?)
 
Hi TINY-tim,

The problem states divisor. Also, there's a typo in the ##\equiv## symbol; in the paper it shows '='.

I understand that n=2 and n=1 and satisfies the statement. But, how do I prove this, I am confused as to how to prove this. I assume they want me to prove a general case?
 
hi knowLittle! :smile:
knowLittle said:
I understand that n=2 and n=1 and satisfies the statement. But, how do I prove this, I am confused as to how to prove this. I assume they want me to prove a general case?

yes

i don't know how much you know about mod calculations :confused:

since you can prove it for n = 2 (because 16 - 1 = 15), does that help you with any other values of n ?

and since it's obviously true for n = 1, does that help you with any other values of n ?

and are there any other cases left?

(alternatively, do you know Fermat's little theorem?)
 
We didn't explicitly covered Fermat's theorem, but I will take a look. I am sure that the solution requires elementary knowledge, for we have not covered much.

I am still lost :/
 
if 24 - 1 is divisble by 5, what can you say about (5n + 2)4 - 1 ? :smile:
 
If 5n+2 is a multiple of 2, then ##(5n+2)^{4} -1 ## would be divisible by 5. Right?
 
knowLittle said:
If 5n+2 is a multiple of 2, then ##(5n+2)^{4} -1 ## would be divisible by 5. Right?

right! :smile:

and ##(5n+1)^{4} -1 ## ?

and ##(5n-1)^{4} -1 ## ?

and ##(5n-2)^{4} -1 ## ?

what other cases do you need? :wink:​