Proving coplanarity of vectors from (a × b) × (c × d) = 0

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Bipolarity
Messages
773
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


If [itex](a \times b) \times (c \times d) = 0[/itex], show that a,b,c,d are coplanar.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I have done the converse of this problem, but am having trouble on how to do this. Can we perhaps use Lagrange's identity. How can I start?

BiP
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:

Homework Statement


If [itex](a \times b) \times (c \times d) = 0[/itex], show that a,b,c,d are coplanar.

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution


I have done the converse of this problem, but am having trouble on how to do this. Can we perhaps use Lagrange's identity. How can I start?

BiP
It's not true.

If [itex](a \times b)=0\,,[/itex] the c & d can be anything.
 
SammyS said:
It's not true.

If [itex](a \times b)=0\,,[/itex] the c & d can be anything.

Thanks Sammy!

BiP