Proving Cosine Identity: Is cos(t+2π) the Same as cos(t)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Saladsamurai
Messages
3,009
Reaction score
7
[tex]\cos (t)=\cos(t+2\pi)[/tex]

I know it is kind of silly, but I need to do it.

I could have sworn that a sum formula would have worked, ie.,
[tex]\cos(\alpha+\beta)=\cos \alpha \cos \beta -\sin \alpha \sin \beta[/tex]

but when I sub in [tex]t[/tex] and[tex]2\pi[/tex] for the RHS, I am getting [tex]-\cos t[/tex]

Where did I go wrong...

Casey

Edit: IDK why LaTex alpha isn't showing on RHS
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:
[tex]\cos (t)=\cos(t+2\pi)[/tex]

I know it is kind of silly, but I need to do it.

I could have sworn that a sum formula would have worked, ie.,
[tex]\cos(\alpha+\beta)=\cos\alpha\cos\beta-\sin\alpha\sin\beta[/tex]

but when I sub in [tex]t[/tex] and[tex]2\pi[/tex] for the RHS, I am getting [tex]-\cos t[/tex]

Where did I go wrong...

Casey

What is cos (2 pi)? (You're going to kick yerself...)

P.S. One of the alphas wasn't displaying because you wrote "alpa"; the cos t didn't display because you left out a space between "cos" and "t"; TeX is unforgiving that way...
 
dynamicsolo said:
What is cos (2 pi)? (You're going to kick yerself...)

P.S. One of the alphas wasn't displaying because you wrote "alpa"; the cos t didn't display because you left out a space between "cos" and "t"; TeX is unforgiving that way...

Ouch! I did not know it was possible to kick myself there:cry: ...
+1

Thanks,
Casey