Proving Log Relationship: x2 + y2 = 11xy and log [(x-y)/3] = 0.5(logx + logy)

  • Thread starter Thread starter TN17
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Log
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
TN17
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Given that x2 + y2 = 11xy

Show that log [ (x-y)/3 ] = 0.5 (logx +logy)


Similarly,

Give that log [ (x-y)/3 ] = 0.5 (logx +logy)

Show that x2 + y2 = 11xy

I really liked the log unit and understood it, but I was stumped on this question. It was for a test and it keeps bothering me.

What I did was completely wrong, but I will be able to understand it if someone shows the solution.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use these facts:

if [tex]\log(x)=\log(y)[/tex] then [tex]x=y[/tex]

[tex]\log(x)+\log(y)=\log(xy)[/tex]

and [tex]a\cdot \log(x)=\log(x^a)[/tex]
 
TN17 said:
Given that x2 + y2 = 11xy

Show that log [ (x-y)/3 ] = 0.5 (logx +logy)
Here's a hint to start: subtract 2xy from both sides of
x2 + y2 = 11xy.