Proving or disproving this matrix V is invertible.

• MHB
  • Thread starter kaienfr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a matrix $V$ that is defined using a set of possible choices for putting balls into bins. The question at hand is whether this matrix is always invertible. The individual has tested several examples and found that $V$ is always invertible, but is unsure of how to prove it. They provide two facts about $V$ - all diagonal elements are strictly positive and $V$ is not symmetric. An example is given to demonstrate the computation of $V$ for a specific case where $n = 3$ and $d = 2$, showing that the matrix is indeed invertible. The individual also notes that $V$ is not always triangular or symmetric, providing counterexamples to
kaienfr
Hello everyone,
I find an interesting matrix which seems to be always invertible. But I have no idea how to prove it! So I write down here for some ideas. Here is the problem:

Let us take $n\in \mathbb{N}^*$ bins and $d\in \mathbb{N}^*$ balls. Denote the set $B = \{\alpha^1, \ldots, \alpha^m\}$ to be all possible choices for putting $d$ balls into $n$ bins (empty bin is possible), such as
$$\alpha^1 = (d,0,\ldots, 0), ~ \alpha^2 = (0,d,\ldots, 0), \ldots$$
Let us define the matrix $V$ as:
$$V = \begin{bmatrix}
(\alpha^1)^{\alpha^1} & \cdots & (\alpha^1)^{\alpha^m}\\
(\alpha^2)^{\alpha^1} & \cdots & (\alpha^2)^{\alpha^m}\\
\vdots & \vdots & \vdots\\
(\alpha^m)^{\alpha^1} & \cdots & (\alpha^m)^{\alpha^m}
\end{bmatrix}$$
where the notation $(\alpha^i)^{\alpha^j} = \displaystyle\prod_{k=1}^{n}(\alpha^i_k)^{\alpha^j_k}$, under the assumption that $0^0=1$.

Question: "is the matrix $V$ invertible?"

I have tested several examples, and it seems that $V$ is always invertible, but I have no idea how to prove it or find a counterexample.
Here are two facts I understood:
  1. all diagonal elements are strictly positives, so the trace of $V$ is strictly positive.
  2. the matrix $V$ is not symmetric.
Does anyone can help to prove or disprove the invertibility of $V$? Thanks a lot in advance for sharing any idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a better understanding of the problem, here is an example:

Let $n=3$ and $d=2$, then we have all possible choices for putting $2$ balls into $3$ bins as:
$$B = \{(2,0,0),(0,2,0),(0,0,2),(1,1,0),(1,0,1),(0,1,1)\}.$$
The elements in the first row of the matrix $V$ are computed as:
$$(\alpha^1)^{\alpha^1} = (2,0,0)^{(2,0,0)} = 2^2\times 0^0\times 0^0 = 4,$$
$$(\alpha^1)^{\alpha^2} = (2,0,0)^{(0,2,0)} = 2^0\times 0^2\times 0^0 = 0,$$
and so on.
Thus, we have the matrix $V$:
$$V = \begin{bmatrix}
4&0&0&0&0&0\\
0&4&0&0&0&0\\
0&0&4&0&0&0\\
1&1&0&1&0&0\\
1&0&1&0&1&0\\
0&1&1&0&0&1\\
\end{bmatrix}
$$
which is clearly invertible.

Remarks: Note that, the matrix $V$ is not always triangular. as an example, for n=3, d=3, then the element $$(2,1,0)^{(1,2,0)} = 2^1\times 1^2 \times 0^0 = 2,$$ and $$(1,2,0)^{(2,1,0)} = 1^2\times 2^1 \times 0^0 = 2$$
which are both non-zeros, thus $V$ will be never invertible in this case.

Moreover, when the elements $(\alpha^i)^{\alpha^j}$ and $(\alpha^j)^{\alpha^i}$ (with $i\neq j$) are non-zeros, they may not be equal.
E.g., n=4, d=8, we have
$$(1,1,2,4)^{(2,2,2,2)} = 64$$
but
$$(2,2,2,2)^{(1,1,2,4)} = 256.$$

So, as a conclusion: "the matrix $V$ is neither triangular nor symmetric in general."

1. How do you determine if a matrix is invertible?

To determine if a matrix is invertible, you can use the determinant. If the determinant is non-zero, then the matrix is invertible. Another way is to check if the matrix has a non-zero row or column. If it does, then it is invertible.

2. Can a matrix be invertible if it has a row or column of zeros?

No, a matrix cannot be invertible if it has a row or column of zeros. This is because a matrix with a row or column of zeros will always have a determinant of zero, making it non-invertible.

3. What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. In other words, the inverse "undoes" the original matrix.

4. How can you prove that a matrix is invertible?

To prove that a matrix is invertible, you can use the determinant method or the row or column method. If the determinant is non-zero or the matrix has a non-zero row or column, then the matrix is invertible. You can also use the inverse matrix formula to calculate the inverse and verify that it results in the identity matrix.

5. Can a non-square matrix be invertible?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be invertible. In order for a matrix to be invertible, it must be a square matrix, meaning it has the same number of rows and columns. Non-square matrices do not have a determinant, which is necessary for determining invertibility.