Proving rational approximations of 1/√2 differ by at least 1/(4b²)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
XJellieBX
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Question:
Using the fact that [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is irrational, we can actually come up with some interesting facts about other numbers. Consider the number t=1/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], which is also irrational. Let a and b be positive integers, and a<b. We will prove that any rational approximation a/b of t will differ by at least 1/(4b^2), that is, for all integers 0<a<b.
|(1/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex])-(a/b)|[tex]\geq[/tex]1/(4b^2)
Notice that a<b because (1/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex])<1.
(a) We prove the statement by contradiction. Assume the conclusion is false. Show it must follow that
|b-a[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]|<[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]/4b.
(b) Show that, as a result,
|b^2-2a^2|<([tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]/4)+(a/2b).

The Attempt:
(a) |(1/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex])-(a/b)<1/(4b^2)
Combining the fractions on the left side, we get
|(b-a[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex])/b[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]|<1/(4b^2)
Multiplying the denominator of the left side to both sides gives
|b-a[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]| < [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]/4b

(b) I started part b by squaring both sides of the inequality I found in part a.
|b-a[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]|^2 < ([tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]/4b)^2
|b^2-2(a[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex])+2a^2| < 2/(16b^2)

And then I'm not sure about where to go from here to get the result indicated in part b. Any tips?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply both sides of the result of a) by b+a*sqrt(2).
 
thanks =) it worked out

However, I have an alternate part to this question.

For any integers 0<a<b, prove that |b^2-2a^2|>1

My Attempt:
I used the axioms of ordering to find that a^2<b^2.
Rearranging the inequality gave me b^2-a^2>0.
Subtracting a^2 from both sides, b^2-2a^2>-a^2

I'm not sure where to go from here or if this is the right way to go. Any hints?
 
[itex]b^2- 2a^2\ge -a^2[/itex] means that [itex]b^2- 2a^2|\ge a^2[/itex] doesn't it? And how small can a2 be if a is an integer?
 
HallsofIvy said:
[itex]b^2- 2a^2\ge -a^2[/itex] means that [itex]b^2- 2a^2|\ge a^2[/itex] doesn't it? And how small can a2 be if a is an integer?

No, I don't think that follows. It's even simpler than that. |b^2-2a^2| is also a nonnegative integer. If it's not greater than or equal to one, then it's zero.