Proving that x=f*sin(wt+θ), y=g*sin(wt+φ) traces an ellipse

  • Thread starter Thread starter DarkEternal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ellipse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
DarkEternal
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Ack, such a simple question, but I haven't worked with conic sections in years. Can anyone suggest an elegant way to show that

[tex]x=f*Sin(wt+\theta)[/tex]
[tex]y=g*Sin(wt+\phi)[/tex]

is an ellipse? I've tried using a rotation matrix on standard parametric ellipse equations and then solving for the angle of rotation and the axes sizes in terms of the variables but it seems messy. Then I tried getting it to fit the general equation but I'm not sure how that would work. However, a simpler method is eluding me. Any help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Some hints: This is not an upright ellipse like [itex]x^2/a^2+z^2/b^2=1[/itex], unless [itex]\phi-\theta=\pi/2[/itex]. But you can get it into that form by applying a transformation like z=y+kx, where k is a constant. By expanding the sines, find k in terms f, g, [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] (actually will depend only on [itex]\phi-\theta[/itex] and f/g), and you are there.
 
Can you clarify what you mean by a transformation of the form z=y+kx? what is y?
 
DarkEternal said:
Ack, such a simple question, but I haven't worked with conic sections in years. Can anyone suggest an elegant way to show that

[tex]x=f*Sin(wt+\theta)[/tex]
[tex]y=g*Sin(wt+\phi)[/tex]

is an ellipse? I've tried using a rotation matrix on standard parametric ellipse equations and then solving for the angle of rotation and the axes sizes in terms of the variables but it seems messy. Then I tried getting it to fit the general equation but I'm not sure how that would work. However, a simpler method is eluding me. Any help?

If you don't mind a little nonrigorous math you can try the following.

Rewriting your equations slightly:

[tex]x = A cos(\omega t + \alpha)[/tex]
[tex]y = B cos(\omega t + \beta)[/tex]

The second equation gives
[tex]\omega t = \cos ^{-1} \left(\frac {y}{B}\right) - \beta[/tex]

Substitute into the first equation:
[tex]x = A \cos( \cos ^{-1} \frac {y}{B} + \alpha - \beta)[/tex]

Use the addition formulas for cosine and the basic identities for the inverse trig function and the equation can be cast into the familiar elliptical form.
 
By familiar elliptical form, do you mean general form? I can't seem to get rid of that square root term from the inverse trig identity...
 
Rearrange terms to get the radical on one side of the equation then square both sides. The "general form" is [itex]ax^2+bxy+cy^2+d=0[/itex] and, depending on the signs and values of the various coefficients, will produce an ellipse, hyperbola or parabola.