Proving the Relationship between tanh^-1(x) and ln((1+x)/(1-x))

  • Thread starter Thread starter harrietstowe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 11K views
harrietstowe
Messages
46
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I need to prove that tanh-1(x) is equal to (1/2)ln((1+x)/(1-x))


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I rewrote it as ln(x+(x2+1)1/2)/ln(x+(x2-1)1/2)

from here I am stuck. Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
harrietstowe said:

Homework Statement


I need to prove that tanh-1(x) is equal to (1/2)ln((1+x)/(1-x))


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I rewrote it as ln(x+(x2+1)1/2)/ln(x+(x2-1)1/2)

from here I am stuck. Thank you

Start with y=tanh(x)=sinh(x)/cosh(x)=(e^x-e^(-x))/(e^x+e^(-x)). To find the inverse function you want to solve for x in terms of y, right? The trick is to put u=e^x, so e^(-x)=1/u. Solve for u first.
 
Thanks so much, tried your way and worked out great