Proving the zeros of sinh(z) and cosh(z)

  • Thread starter Thread starter laura_a
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
laura_a
Messages
64
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have this weird question in my textbook I'm not even sure which part is the question and what i need to do...

It says

"Give details showing that the zeros of sinhz and coshz are as in statements (14) and (15) "


Homework Equations



(14) sinhz = 0 iff z=n(pi)i (n=0, +/- 1, +/- 2...)

(15) coshz = 0 iff z=(pi/2 + n(pi)) (n=0, +/- 1, +/- 2...)

-sin(iz) = sinh(z)
cos(iz) = cosh(z)
sinh(z) = [e^z - e^(-z) ] /2
cosh(z) = [e^z + e^(-z)]/2

The Attempt at a Solution



I haven't made a start on the question because I don't understand the words and what it wants me to calc?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute the given values into your formulas for sinh and cosh and show they are zero. The words look pretty clear to me. I think you've forgotten an i in your cosh zeros.