Proving there exists m such that (1-1/m)^n > 1-ε without nth roots

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
BrownianMan
Messages
133
Reaction score
0
Let n ≥ 1 be an integer and ε > 0 a real number. Without making reference or use of nth roots, prove that there exists a positive integer m such that

[tex]\left (1- \frac{1}{m} \right )^{n}> 1-\varepsilon[/tex]

How would I go about proving this? Would I just solve for m?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BrownianMan! :smile:
BrownianMan said:
How would I go about proving this? Would I just solve for m?

Yup! :biggrin:
 
BrownianMan said:
Let n ≥ 1 be an integer and ε > 0 a real number. Without making reference or use of nth roots, prove that there exists a positive integer m such that
[tex]\left (1- \frac{1}{m} \right )^{n}> 1-\varepsilon[/tex]
How would I go about proving this? Would I just solve for m?
Just solving for m would require use of an nth root, right ? ... So, "No." to that.
 
BrownianMan said:
Let n ≥ 1 be an integer and ε > 0 a real number. Without making reference or use of nth roots, prove that there exists a positive integer m such that

[tex]\left (1- \frac{1}{m} \right )^{n}> 1-\varepsilon[/tex]

How would I go about proving this? Would I just solve for m?

What are you allowed to use? For example, using Calculus you can derive the inequality [tex](1-x)^n > 1-nx ,[/tex] for [itex]0 < x < 1.[/itex]

RGV
 
Can't I say

[tex]\left ( 1-\frac{1}{m} \right )^{n} =1-\sum_{k=1}^{n}\binom{n}{k}\left ( \frac{1}{m} \right )^{k}=1-\frac{1}{m}\left (\sum_{k=1}^{n}\binom{n}{k} \left (\frac{1}{m} \right )^{k-1} \right )[/tex]
[tex]\geq 1-\frac{1}{m}\left (2^{n}-1 \right )[/tex]

So then

[tex]1-\frac{1}{m}\left (2^{n}-1 \right ) > 1 - \varepsilon[/tex]
[tex]\frac{2^{n}-1}{\varepsilon }<m[/tex]
 
Hi BrownianMan! :smile:
BrownianMan said:
Can't I say

[tex]\left ( 1-\frac{1}{m} \right )^{n} =1-\sum_{k=1}^{n}\binom{n}{k}\left ( \frac{1}{m} \right )^{k}=1-\frac{1}{m}\left (\sum_{k=1}^{n}\binom{n}{k} \left (\frac{1}{m} \right )^{k-1} \right )[/tex]
[tex]\geq 1-\frac{1}{m}\left (2^{n}-1 \right )[/tex]

(Your ∑ needs a (-1)k inside it. :wink:)

Perhaps I'm missing the obvious, but where does your 2n come from? :confused: