Prove (cos(3x) - cos(7x))/(sin(7x) + sin(3x)) = tan(2x) and cos(3x) = 4cos³(x) - 3cos(x)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
madmike159
Gold Member
Messages
369
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



prove that, (cos(3x) - cos (7x)) / (sin(7x) + sin(3x)) = tan(2x)

prove that, cos(3x) = 4cos^3(x) - 3cos(x)

Homework Equations



tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x) must come into the first one


The Attempt at a Solution



tried seperating the fraction so there is only one cos term on top, but I don't know how to deal with the sin terms on the bottom.

I haven't got a clue for the second one
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No I'm looking for them now, do you know that they work for these questions?
 
I still can't seem to get them right. My problem is not so much doing it, just working out which formula to use.
 
I'm still stuck on these. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
 
Use the wiki page linked to above, especially this section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#Product-to-sum_and_sum-to-product_identities

[itex]\cos 3x - \cos 7x[/itex] can be reduced to a product of sines. Likewise the sum of sines in the denominator.

As for the other identity

[tex]\cos 3x = \cos (2x +x) = \left(\substack{\underbrace{\cos^2 x -\sin^2 x}\\ \cos 2x}\right) \cos x - \left(\substack{\underbrace{2\sin x \cos x}\\ \sin 2x}\right) \sin x = ...[/tex]

The final result follows easily.
 
Last edited:
I did the first one, but I'm still suck on the second one.

I ended up with cos(3x) = cos^3(x) - 3sin^2(x)cos(x), which is getting there, but I'm not sure what to do next
 
Try to change the sine into a cosine somehow... There's a really important formula which allow you to do that...