Can You Prove the Trig Identity: cos(3x)/cos(x) = 2cos(2x) - 1?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kirab
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Identity Trig
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
kirab
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove that

[tex]\frac{cos 3x}{cos x} = 2cos (2x) - 1[/tex]

Homework Equations



The ones I used:

[tex]cos 2x = cos^2 x - sin^2 x[/tex]
[tex]sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I *think* that the left hand side cannot be manipulated so I only fooled around with the right hand side...

[tex]2cos 2x - 1 = 2 (cos^2 x - sin^2 x) - 1 = 2 (cos^2 x - sin^2 x) - (sin^2 x + cos^2 x)<br /> = 2cos^2 x - 2sin^2 x - sin^2 x - cos^2 x = cos^2 x - 3sin^2 x[/tex]
And I'm not sure what do to from there, so I did another approach (from the original right hand side):

[tex]2cos 2x - 1 = 2 (cos2x - 1/2) = 2 (cos 2x - ((sin^2 x + cos^2 x)/2)) = 2 ((2cos2x - sin^2 x - cos^2 x)/2) = 2cos2x - sin^2 x - cos^2 x.[/tex]

And I'm stuck at this point. Any suggestions?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org