Proving using calculus without trig identity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
kebabs
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Please I really need help with this homework question

Prove without trig identity that f`(x)=0 for

F(x)=Asin^2(Bx+C)+Acos^2(Bx+C)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kebabs said:
Please I really need help with this homework question

Prove without trig identity that f`(x)=0 for

F(x)=Asin^2(Bx+C)+Acos^2(Bx+C)

You're not supposed to use the obvious identity that simplifies this? I suppose you could just use the derivatives of sin and cos along with the chain rule to directly compute the derivative. But eventually you'll need to simplify using some trig identity.
 
kebabs said:
Please I really need help with this homework question

Prove without trig identity that f`(x)=0 for

F(x)=Asin^2(Bx+C)+Acos^2(Bx+C)

What is F'(x) if [itex]F(x)=A\sin^2(Bx+C)+A\cos^2(Bx+C)\,?[/itex]
 
SteveL27 said:
You're not supposed to use the obvious identity that simplifies this? I suppose you could just use the derivatives of sin and cos along with the chain rule to directly compute the derivative. But eventually you'll need to simplify using some trig identity.
Are you sure? I was able to get F'(x) = 0 by using the chain rule, and yet I didn't use any trig identity.
 
could you please send me your working for this question??
 
It's really simple - just use chain rule to take the d/dx of the whole expression. No trig or any other kinds of tricks necessary. Are you familiar with the use of chain rule?