PSA Dont scale a cliff while on a hike

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
I wonder if he got charged for the cost of that rescue. There are some places where you get charged if it is determined that you should have known better and not done what you did (or went hiking in a closed area, for example)...

Likes russ_watters, Astronuc and BillTre
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2022 Award
I wonder if he got charged for the cost of that rescue. There are some places where you get charged if it is determined that you should have known better and not done what you did (or went hiking in a closed area, for example)...
Society's little tax on the stupid.

Likes russ_watters
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
My Alps trip this year ended when I got hit on the ankle by a falling rock and I had to call for the rescue helicopter (first time ever). It cost CHF 4,500 (regardless of circumstances) - although that was covered by my mountain rescue insurance. Nothing is cheap in Switzerland.

Likes russ_watters
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
I was climbing the Dreieselwand, which is the snow face on the Lenzspitze when a rock came out of nowhere (I didn't even see it) and thumped me on the left ankle. I got to the summit, but the only way off is to climb the ridge on the right. I got as far as the summit of the Nadelhorn climbing on one foot and one knee by the end (actually not as hard as you'd think), but my ankle was so painful by then, that I decided not to risk the descent and aggravating the injury any further.

Lenzspitze Nadelhorn 3.jpg

• Wow
Likes Astronuc, Keith_McClary, BillTre and 2 others
256bits
Gold Member
Hike a mountain - for the faint of heart.
Use a bicycle.

Riding the white line

• Wow
Likes jedishrfu, Astronuc and PeroK

Suggested for: PSA Dont scale a cliff while on a hike

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views