Pulleys question - Need a rig to lift with a MA=107?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gruff
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lift Pulleys
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
gruff
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Hi

I have an installation/art project that requires a rig designed to balance a weight of 3200lbs using a weight of 30lbs. I think that means a mechanical advantage of 107 if using pulleys? Both weights would be suspended in the air by the rig so that someone pulling on the small weight would make the heavy weight move upwards perceptibly.

As I understand it (which is not very well!) if you pulled on the 30lb weight and moved it down 107cm the 3200lb weight would move up only 1cm. Is that right?

My question then: is there a way to make the heavy weight move more for a given movement of the lighter weight without increasing the force required?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
gruff said:
As I understand it (which is not very well!) if you pulled on the 30lb weight and moved it down 107cm the 3200lb weight would move up only 1cm. Is that right?

Yes.


gruff said:
My question then: is there a way to make the heavy weight move more for a given movement of the lighter weight without increasing the force required?

No.

CS