Pump lifting water 16 kg per minute through 3.38 m

  • Thread starter Thread starter strugglin-physics
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Joules Watts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
strugglin-physics
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
A pump is to lift 16.0 kg of water per minute through a height of 3.38 m. What output rating (watts) should the pump motor have?

Potential Energy Initial = O
Kenetic Energy Final = 0

So,
KE-PE = W
1/2mv^2 - mgh = Work
1/2(16.0)(3.38)^2 - (16.0)(9.8)(3.38) = -439 W

The fact that my answer is negative automatically tells me that I did something wrong as the pump wouldn't have a negative output. Does anyone see where I went wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no kinetic energy involved in this problem at all, so that's your first trouble spot. The only thing that matters is the change in potential energy of the water when lifted 3.38 meters.

The pump has to lift 16 kg 3.38 m every minute. It has to expend energy to do this. It requires [itex]m g y[/itex] joules to lift a mass of any substance y meters:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=16+kg+*+9.8+m/s/s+*+3.38+m&btnG=Google+Search

This energy is expended over the course of a minute; the pump thus has to expend a sixtienth of this energy per second. Power, in watts, is equivalent to one joule per second:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=(16+kg+*+9.8+m/s/s+*+3.38+m)+/+60+seconds&btnG=Search

- Warren
 
Wow, I was way off. Thanks for your help, it helped me with another problem I was stuck on to.