Pursuing a second MS immediatly after first MS

• Thread starter koab1mjr
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's pursuit of multiple MS degrees in engineering and their concerns about how it may affect their admissions to a different institution for a PhD. They also mention their desire to pursue a more prestigious institution and field in the long term, but feel obligated to complete their current program due to financial reasons.
koab1mjr
Hi all

From an admission standpoint is pursuing multiple MS in engineering frowned upon. I am currently enrolled in a NE MS program and I want to pursue an ME masters and possibly a PhD at a different institution. I was wondering if having an MS helps or hurts from an admissions standpoint.

Physics news on Phys.org
in general one is tempted to ask why you keep "dancing around the fire" instead of getting to work.

the first one is a work obligation so I have virtually no flexiblity in terms of institution and type. I need the moeny and its free so i feel I have to pursue it.

The second one I am looking to go big time in terms of institution brand and more of what I truly want to do long term

I know I cannot say this on my apps but its the truth

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a second MS immediately after completing the first one?

Pursuing a second MS immediately after completing the first one can provide you with additional knowledge and expertise in a specific field, making you more competitive in the job market. It can also help you build a diverse skill set and expand your network through interactions with different professors and classmates.

2. Is it advisable to pursue a second MS immediately after completing the first one?

It depends on your personal and professional goals. Pursuing a second MS immediately can be a good choice if you want to specialize in a specific field or if you plan to pursue a career in academia. However, it may not be necessary if you already have a strong background in your field or if you want to gain work experience before furthering your education.

3. How can pursuing a second MS immediately benefit my future career?

Pursuing a second MS immediately can make you more competitive in the job market, as it shows your dedication and commitment to continuous learning. It can also provide you with a deeper understanding of your field, making you a valuable asset to employers. Additionally, it can open up new career opportunities and increase your earning potential.

4. What are the challenges of pursuing a second MS immediately after completing the first one?

Some challenges of pursuing a second MS immediately include the cost of tuition and the time commitment required. You may also face difficulties in balancing coursework and other responsibilities, such as work or family obligations. It is important to carefully consider these challenges and make sure you are prepared to handle them before pursuing a second MS.

5. Are there any alternatives to pursuing a second MS immediately after completing the first one?

Yes, there are alternative options to furthering your education immediately after completing a MS. You can gain work experience in your field to strengthen your skills and knowledge, or you can pursue certifications or short-term courses to gain specialized knowledge. You can also take a break from academic studies and return to school at a later time when you feel ready.