Put the "Preview" option just below the Edit window

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation suggests putting a "Preview" option at the bottom of the Edit window instead of having it float above the Edit and Preview windows. This would make it easier to access the "Attach files" and "Preview" options, especially for longer posts. The suggestion also includes moving the "Insert quotes" action to the end of the Edit window for better functionality. Additionally, the conversation discusses removing the push notification message at the bottom of the screen and suggests having the notification option or the option to close the message.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
I suggest putting a "Preview" option at the bottom of the Edit window. Currently we have a "Preview" option that floats above both the Edit and Preview windows. Fixed to the end of the Preview window are "attach files" and a "preview" option. It seems to me that those options would be better attached to the end of the Edit window.

For short posts, the floating "Post thread" and "Preview" options remain visible during scrolling. However, in writing moderately long posts, I find those options can get obscured by a notification at the bottom of the pages ("Physics Forums | Science Articles,...").

Likes Tom.G
Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
Fixed to the end of the Preview window are "attach files" and a "preview" option. It seems to me that those options would be better attached to the end of the Edit window.
They are for me. Can you screenshot what you're seeing?

You have to scroll windows in a certain way for the problem to happen. Attached is a photo where no "Preview" option appears below the edit window. (Only the non-responsive "preview" label for the preview window appears.)
PhyForScreenShot.jpg

It would give you a little more screen space to either enable push notifications or "X" out of that :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
It would give you a little more screen space to either enable push notifications or "X" out of that :smile:

Only young people who use tiny fonts ever have enough screen space! - and I don't know what a "push notification" is.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Stephen Tashi said:
Only young people who use tiny fonts ever have enough screen space! - and I don't know what a "push notification" is.
Windows or whatever OS you are using will alert you to a new post. If you want that, click the link otherwise click the X on the right to close the bar.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Windows or whatever OS you are using will alert you to a new post. If you want that, click the link otherwise click the X on the right to close the bar.

That gets rid of the message at the bottom of the screen, but it doesn't solve the problem. There are still situations where, after editing a post, a person must scroll down through the old preview to get below it and select the "preview" option.

Likes Tom.G and strangerep
...and it would be better to put the "insert quotes" action at the end of the edit window instead of having it at the end of the preview window.

Greg Bernhardt said:
They are for me. Can you screenshot what you're seeing?
Actually @Stephen Tashi means something like this:

Basically for a long post, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to regenerate the preview. If these buttons were directly below the edit box, it would have been perhaps better.

Likes Tom.G and strangerep
Wrichik Basu said:
[...] Basically for a long post, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to regenerate the preview. If these buttons were directly below the edit box, it would have been perhaps better.
+1.

1. What is the purpose of having a "Preview" option below the Edit window?

The "Preview" option allows you to see how your edits will look before you actually make them. This can help catch any mistakes or formatting issues before they are saved.

2. How do I access the "Preview" option?

The "Preview" option is usually located below the Edit window, either as a button or a tab. It may also be labeled as "Preview Changes" or "View Preview".

3. Can I use the "Preview" option for all types of edits?

Yes, the "Preview" option can be used for any type of edit, whether it's adding text, images, or formatting. It will show you exactly how your changes will appear on the final page.

4. Is the "Preview" option available on all websites?

No, the "Preview" option may not be available on all websites. It depends on the platform or software being used for editing. Some websites may have a different way of previewing changes, such as a "Live Preview" feature.

5. Can I make changes while in the "Preview" mode?

No, the "Preview" mode is only for viewing your changes. You will need to exit the preview and go back to the Edit window to make any additional edits.