Pyramids = were they pointing at supernova?

• Thread starter Chaballa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supernova
In summary: Orion Nebula is a diffuse nebula, it doesn't appear to be particularly similar in appearance to the Crab Nebula, and as such i don't believe the Egyptians would have mistaken it for it.
Chaballa
Egyptian pyramids(constructed 2630 BCE–2611 BCE) according to wiki, and they point to Orion Nebula.

"The creation of the Crab Nebula corresponds to the bright SN 1054 supernova that was recorded by Chinese astronomers and Arab astronomers in 1054 AD" according to wiki.

Would it be possible Egyptian pyramids pointed to the supernova from Orion Nebula considering the age of the Orion Nebula and Egyptian pyramids?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not sure of the dates here, but it sounds like you're asking if the pyramids (build before the supernova?), were built to point to where it would occur. Is this correct?

If so, no to be blunt.

No, sorry if i wasn't clear. I meant the reason Egyptian pyramids pointing to the Orion Nebula is due to supernova that occurred before the pyramids were built.

Chaballa said:
No, sorry if i wasn't clear. I meant the reason Egyptian pyramids pointing to the Orion Nebula is due to supernova that occurred before the pyramids were built.

Well I don't know much on the subject, but it would depend on if they could observe it.

If the light only "arrived" with use later (when we would observe it), after construction, then no.

Chaballa said:

You appear to be wanting to know something like the following:

1. Is it possible that the Orion Nebula is a supernova remnant, in the same way as the Crab Nebula is?

2. If so, is it possible that the supernova might have occurred at a time when it was visible to the Egyptians, leading them to attribute a special importance on the Orion Nebula?

The Orion Nebula is classified as an H II region "diffuse nebula" rather than a supernova remnant, and is quite different in appearance from the Crab Nebula. It is of course possible that some bright event could have occurred within it during human history, but I'm not aware of any evidence for such an event around the time of the pyramids. (In contrast, the recent expansion of the Crab Nebula can be extrapolated back to a supernova recorded by Chinese and Arab astronomers in 1054).

Chaballa said:
Egyptian pyramids(constructed 2630 BCE–2611 BCE) according to wiki, and they point to Orion Nebula.

"The creation of the Crab Nebula corresponds to the bright SN 1054 supernova that was recorded by Chinese astronomers and Arab astronomers in 1054 AD" according to wiki.

Would it be possible Egyptian pyramids pointed to the supernova from Orion Nebula considering the age of the Orion Nebula and Egyptian pyramids?

According to the dates you give, the pyramids were built nearly 4000 yrs BEFORE the supernova event. Not sure how they could be connected.

Jonathan Scott said:
The Orion Nebula is classified as an H II region "diffuse nebula" rather than a supernova remnant, and is quite different in appearance from the Crab Nebula. It is of course possible that some bright event could have occurred within it during human history, but I'm not aware of any evidence for such an event around the time of the pyramids. (In contrast, the recent expansion of the Crab Nebula can be extrapolated back to a supernova recorded by Chinese and Arab astronomers in 1054).

i think perhaps the OP is confusing the Orion Nebula with the entire complex that is the constellation of Orion. after all, while the pyramids of Giza point in the general direction of Orion, i believe they more accurately line up with Alnitak, Alnilam, and Mintaka (the 3 stars of Orion's belt) than they do with the Orion Nebula itself, which, as I'm sure you already know makes up but a small fraction of the entire area of sky that is the Orion Complex. so in that respect, i'd have to reply to the OP's question about whether ancient Egyptians built the pyramids of Giza in homage to a supernova remnant visible around the time they were built with a "no...i don't believe so." honestly i think the Egyptians were more or less trying to line the pyramids up with the stars in Orion's belt.

now with regard to supernova remnants, i agree with you that the Orion Nebula itself (the small bright yellow-orange nebula in the lower-center of the below image) is not a Supernova remnant, the greater Orion complex sure as heck looks like a supernova remnant, given the ring of outwardly expanding gas:
Orion_20.jpg

Jonathan Scott said:
You appear to be wanting to know something like the following:

1. Is it possible that the Orion Nebula is a supernova remnant, in the same way as the Crab Nebula is?

2. If so, is it possible that the supernova might have occurred at a time when it was visible to the Egyptians, leading them to attribute a special importance on the Orion Nebula?
si :)

Yer according to wiki SN1054 is 5th supernova recorded in our history.. and we don't have any details on supernova from Orion Nebula.

Integral said:
According to the dates you give, the pyramids were built nearly 4000 yrs BEFORE the supernova event. Not sure how they could be connected.
Crab Nebula was just an example cos i was told that SN1054 was observable even during day time.

Last edited:

1. What is the connection between pyramids and supernovas?

The connection between pyramids and supernovas is that some ancient pyramids, particularly those in Egypt, were built to align with specific stars and constellations, including supernovas.

2. How did ancient civilizations know about supernovas?

Ancient civilizations, particularly the Egyptians and Mayans, were skilled astronomers and closely observed the night sky. They were able to track the movements of stars and constellations over time and accurately predict when a star would go supernova.

3. Which pyramids are thought to be aligned with supernovas?

The most famous example is the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, which is believed to be aligned with the star Alnitak in the Orion constellation. Other pyramids, such as those in Teotihuacan, Mexico, are also thought to be aligned with supernovas.

4. Why did ancient civilizations build pyramids to align with supernovas?

The alignment of pyramids with supernovas was likely a way for ancient civilizations to honor and pay homage to the stars and their perceived significance in the universe. It may also have served a practical purpose, such as aiding in agricultural or religious practices.

5. Is there any evidence to support the theory that pyramids were built to align with supernovas?

While there is no concrete evidence, many researchers have found compelling connections between the alignment of pyramids and specific supernovas. Additionally, the precise construction and orientation of pyramids suggest that they were built with great astronomical knowledge and intention.