Q: Flange PN size selecion (BS EN 1092-1)

• Thread starter Su Solberg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the selection of flange thickness according to BS EN 1092-1 and the codes used for sizing flanges in the US and Europe. The individual is looking for guidance on how to determine the appropriate flange thickness based on factors such as pressure, temperature, and material. The response suggests referencing the ASME B16.5 code for sizing flanges in the US, but the specific calculation method is not specified.
Su Solberg
Q: Flange "PN" size selecion (BS EN 1092-1)

Hi, everyone,

I have som question about Flange thickness selection.

According to BS EN 1092-1 , there are several kind of flange thickness for same section (PN 10,40, etc)

I wonder how could I decided which thickness (PN) of flange should be used rather then wild guess. (please provide refer. book/equation if possible)

Welding?
Sealing?
water pressure?

Thanks for your kind help. ^0^

Engineering news on Phys.org

In the US, there are specific codes that allow you to size the flange required based on pressure, temperature and material used. For example, ASME B16.5 covers pipe flanges and flanged fittings. I would assume the same thing exists in European specs, I just don't know what that is.

FredGarvin said:
In the US, there are specific codes that allow you to size the flange required based on pressure, temperature and material used. For example, ASME B16.5 covers pipe flanges and flanged fittings. I would assume the same thing exists in European specs, I just don't know what that is.

Dear Brother FredGarvin,
I have just read the ASME B16.5 code, but I found that there is only size for the flange. Could you specify the page that reveal the calculation??

Thanks for your kind help.

1. What is the purpose of selecting the PN size for a flange according to BS EN 1092-1?

The PN size refers to the pressure rating of the flange, which determines the maximum pressure it can withstand. Selecting the appropriate PN size ensures the flange can handle the intended pressure of the system, preventing potential leaks or failures.

2. How do I determine the correct PN size for my flange?

The PN size is determined by the maximum working pressure of your system. This can be calculated by considering factors such as fluid type, temperature, and operating conditions. Consult the BS EN 1092-1 standard or a qualified engineer for assistance in selecting the appropriate PN size.

3. Can I use a flange with a lower PN size than the maximum working pressure of my system?

No, using a flange with a lower PN size than the maximum working pressure of your system can lead to potential safety hazards and failures. Always ensure the flange's PN size is equal to or greater than the maximum working pressure of your system.

4. Are there different PN sizes for different types of flanges?

Yes, the PN size is determined by the type of flange and its intended application. For example, a welding neck flange may have a different PN size than a slip-on flange for the same system. Always consult the BS EN 1092-1 standard or a qualified engineer to determine the appropriate PN size for your specific flange type.

5. Can I change the PN size of a flange after it has been installed?

No, the PN size of a flange is determined during the design and installation process and cannot be changed after installation. Altering the PN size can compromise the integrity of the flange and potentially lead to system failures. It is important to carefully select the appropriate PN size before installation.