Q4 - Arithmetic and Geometric series

In summary, the first three terms of a geometrical sequence have a sum of 26 and a product of 216. The sum of the first four terms needs to be found. By setting the first term as "a" and the common ratio as "r", and using the given information, two equations can be formed. By solving for r in terms of a, and then taking the cubic root of the second equation, the common ratio is found to be 6. From there, the first term can be calculated and the sum of the first four terms can be determined.
ExamFever

Homework Statement

Let a1, a2, a3 denote the first three terms of a geometrical sequence, for which a1 + a2 + a3 = 26.

a1 + 3, a2 + 4, a3 - 3 are the first three terms of an arithmetical sequence.

Find the first term and the common quotient (ratio) of the geometrical sequence!

Homework Equations

Arithmetical sequences:

an = a1 + (n-1)d
Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an)

Geometric sequences:

an = a1rn-1
Sn = a1 * ((r-1n)/(r-1))

The Attempt at a Solution

By taking the sum of the given arithmetical sequence:

(a1 + a2 + a3) + 3 + 4 -3 = 26 +4 = 30

We know that:

Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an)
30 = (3/2)(a1 + 3 + a3 - 3) > (3/2)(a1 + a3)
30 = (3/2)(20)

Thus a1 + a3 = 20

Because of the given

a1 + a2 + a3 = 26

This implies

(a1 + a3) + a2 = 26
20 + a2 = 26
a2 = 6

Now, I found the second term of each sequence, however, I do not know how to go forward from this point. The four functions given for arithmetic and geometric sequences do not seem to help me any further because there are always two unknown variables!

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not need the sum of the arithmetic sequence, but it might be useful that the middle term is the arithmetic mean of the neighbours.

ehild

I might be missing some important understandig about the mean, but I cannot resolve the problem any further with the help of this hint. I have been breaking my head over it a while longer, but do not see where this fits in.

Could you perhaps provide me with another hint? Thanks!

In other words, the middle term of the arithmetic sequence, a2 + 4, is the average of the two other terms a1 + 3 and a3 - 3.

You know that the first three terms of the geometric sequence is a1, a1r, a1r2, and their sum is 26:

a1+a1r+a1r2=26. *

There is the arithmetical sequence, with first term

b1=a1+3,

second term

b2=a2+4=a1r+4,

and third term

b3=a3-3=a1r2-3.

By definition,

b2-b1=b3-b2, which is equivalent by

b3+b1=2b2

so

a1+3+a1r2-3=2(a1r+4). **

You have two unknowns (a1 and r) and two equations. Solve.

Now I got the following problem. I tried to use the logical steps you provided in the previous problem but I think I am missing something.

Problem
The sum of the first three terms of a geometrical sequence is 26 and their product is 216. Find the sum of the first four terms!

so we have

a + ar + ar2 = 26
a * ar * ar2 = 216

where a is the first term

we can get r in terms of a by putting

a = 26 * ((1-r)/1-r2))

Now it is possible to solve the equation

a3r3 = 216 by putting the value we found for a

However, this results in a very long and tiresome caclulation ending up with the following:

2170r6 - 6591r5 + 6510r4 - 2197r3 - 81r2 + 27 = 0

I suppose I could solve this equation with synthetic division and then checking for which values the original equations holld, but I feel I got on the wrong track real soon here. Help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

ExamFever said:
so we have

a + ar + ar2 = 26
a * ar * ar2 = 216

You made a mistake: a = 26 * ((1-r)/1-r^3)). But it is better to keep the first equation in the original form and start with the second one.

The problem is not that terrible, as you can take the cubic root of the second equation: ar=6

ehild

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between an arithmetic series and a geometric series?

An arithmetic series is a sequence of numbers in which each term is obtained by adding a constant value to the previous term. A geometric series is a sequence of numbers in which each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant value. In other words, in an arithmetic series, the difference between consecutive terms is constant, while in a geometric series, the ratio between consecutive terms is constant.

2. How can we determine the sum of an arithmetic series?

The sum of an arithmetic series can be determined by using the formula Sn = n/2 * (2a + (n-1)d), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a is the first term, and d is the common difference between consecutive terms.

3. Can a series be both arithmetic and geometric?

No, a series cannot be both arithmetic and geometric. A series is either arithmetic or geometric, depending on the pattern of the sequence of numbers.

4. How do we find the common ratio in a geometric series?

The common ratio in a geometric series can be found by dividing any term by the previous term. The resulting value will be the common ratio. For example, if the first term is 2 and the second term is 6, the common ratio would be 6/2 = 3.

5. Can we find the sum of a geometric series if the common ratio is greater than 1?

Yes, we can find the sum of a geometric series with a common ratio greater than 1. The formula for finding the sum is Sn = a(1-r^n)/(1-r), where a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms in the series.