QFT question - anti-commutator

• Thread starter vertices
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft
In summary, the conversation is discussing the anti-commutator of two matrices, { γµ,{γργσ} }, and how it can be simplified by taking out the number \eta^{\rho \sigma}. It is also mentioned that \gamma^\mu and \eta^{\rho \sigma} can be written as a (4 x 4) matrix and a number respectively. Another question is asked about another expression which involves the unit matrix and how it can be simplified using the standard metric.
vertices
For this question, note that curly brackets {..} is an anti-commutator eg. {AB} = AB+BA where A and B are matrices.

Also note that I4 is the identity 4x4 matrix.

I would like to understand why { γµ,{γργσ} } = 2 { γµ, I4 }[tex]\eta^{\rho \sigma} [/tex]

I understand that { γµ,{γργσ} } = 2{ γµ,[tex]\eta^{\rho \sigma}I_4[/tex] } (as {γρσ}= [tex]2\eta^{\rho \sigma}[/tex]) but why can we take [tex]\eta^{\rho \sigma}[/tex] out of the anti commutator, like in the expression above?

If we can, this means [tex]\gamma^\mu \eta^{\rho \sigma} = \eta^{\rho \sigma}\gamma^\mu [/tex]. Why is this necessarily true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that whereas [itex]\gamma^\mu[/itex] is a (4 x 4) matrix with entries [itex](\gamma^\mu)^\nu{}_\rho[/itex], [itex]\eta^{\rho\sigma}[/itex] is just a number. (For standard Lorentzian metrics, it's 1, 0 or -1).

Thanks CompuChip, so the anti-commutator of two gamma matrices is just a number times the identity matrix. So [tex] \eta_{\mu\rho}[/tex] is just the entry (a number, which as you say is just 1, 0 or -1) on the µ'th row and ρ'th column of [tex]\eta[/tex]?

Sorry to do this, but can I please ask another related question:

I'd like to understand why:

[tex]P_1^\mu P_2^\nu tr[ \gamma_\mu \gamma^0 (\gamma_\nu \gamma^0 + \gamma^0 \gamma_\nu)] - tr[\gamma_\mu \gamma^0 \gamma^0 \gamma_\nu][/tex]

[tex]=P_1^\mu P_2^\nu [2tr(\gamma_\mu \gamma^0) \eta_\nu ^0 - \eta^{00}tr(\gamma_\mu\gamma_\nu)]= [/tex]

[tex]=P_1^\mu P_2^\nu [8\eta_\mu ^0 \eta_\nu ^0 - 4 \eta^{00}\eta_{\mu\nu}][/tex]

Firstly, why can we write [tex]\gamma_\mu \gamma^0 (\gamma_\nu \gamma^0 + \gamma^0 \gamma_\nu)=2(\gamma_\nu \gamma^0) \eta_\nu ^0 [/tex] and why is this in turn [tex] 8\eta_\mu ^0 \eta_\nu ^0 [/tex]?

Also what does this object mean anyway, physically:

[tex]\eta_\nu^\mu[/tex] with one raised and one lowered index?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Note that you can raise and lower indices on the gamma matrices using the standard metric, so

[tex]\gamma_\nu = \eta_{\nu\rho} \gamma^\rho[/tex]

That will answer your first question.

As for the second one, I'll leave that to someone with some physical intuition about these matters. If I'm not mistaken, [itex]\eta^\mu{}_\nu[/itex] is a complicated way to write the unit matrix, as you can check by using the symmety and the fact that eta also raised and lowers indices on itself.

well

[itex]
\eta^\mu{}_\nu \eta^\nu{}_\rho = \delta^\mu{}_\rho
[/itex]

which is the Id-matrix

1. What is the anti-commutator in quantum field theory?

The anti-commutator in quantum field theory (QFT) is a mathematical operation used to describe the behavior of operators in a quantum system. It is defined as the sum of the products of two operators, one in the normal order and one in the reversed order, with a plus sign between them. It is denoted by {A, B} and is a crucial quantity in the study of fermionic fields and their corresponding creation and annihilation operators.

2. How is the anti-commutator different from the commutator?

The anti-commutator is essentially the opposite of the commutator. While the commutator measures the extent to which two operators do not commute, the anti-commutator measures the extent to which they do commute. In other words, the commutator is defined as the difference between the product of two operators in normal order and the product in the reversed order, while the anti-commutator is defined as the sum of these two products.

3. What is the physical significance of the anti-commutator in QFT?

The anti-commutator plays a crucial role in the description of fermionic fields and their interactions in QFT. It is used to calculate correlation functions and to determine the behavior of particles and their corresponding creation and annihilation operators. It also helps to define important quantities such as the energy-momentum tensor and the Hamiltonian operator in fermionic systems.

4. How does the anti-commutator relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This principle is reflected in the anti-commutation relations between position and momentum operators, which are used to describe fermionic fields in QFT. These relations show that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

5. Can the anti-commutator be used in other areas of physics?

Yes, the anti-commutator has applications in other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and quantum computing. In quantum mechanics, it is used to describe the behavior of fermionic systems, while in quantum computing, it is used to define important operations and gates. It also has applications in the study of quantum entanglement and quantum information theory.