Poincare algebra and its eigenvalues for spinors

In summary: Just a few comments:1. The factor of 16 in the denominator of your first equation comes from the fact that you have 4 copies of W. I.e. W^mu W_mu = (W^1)^2 + (W^2)^2 + (W^3)^2 + (W^4)^22. I can't trace your calculation to see where you error occured. I would need to see the details.3. I would recommend you write out all the index labels with 4-vectors and make sure they are all the same and correspond in pairs.4. I can't follow your steps in your last spoiler.I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "
Markus Kahn

Homework Statement

Show that for
$$W^\mu = -\frac{1}{2}\varepsilon_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}M^{\nu\rho}P^{\sigma},$$
where ##M^{\mu\nu}## satisfies the commutation relations of the Lorentz group and ##\Psi## is a bispinor that transforms according to the ##(\frac{1}{2},0)\oplus(0,\frac{1}{2})## representation of the Lorentz group we have
$$W^2\Psi = -\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{2}+1\right)m^2\Psi.$$

Homework Equations

This is a follow up question to this question : https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/spin-matrices-and-field-transformations.967878/

The Attempt at a Solution

For the purpose of leaving out unnecessary calculations let's assume it is clear that we can write
$$W^\mu = -\frac{1}{2}\varepsilon_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}S^{\nu\rho}P^{\sigma},$$
where ##S^{\mu\nu}= \frac{i}{4}[\gamma^\mu,\gamma^\nu]## and ##\gamma## satisfying the Clifford algebra. My attempt to find ##W^2## goes as follows
$$\begin{align*}W_\mu W^\mu &= -\frac{1}{16}\varepsilon_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}\varepsilon^{\mu abc}S^{\nu\rho}S_{ab}\partial^{\sigma}\partial_c = -\frac{1}{16}\eta^{ad}\eta^{be}\eta^{cf}\varepsilon_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}\varepsilon^{\mu}{}_{def}S^{\nu\rho}S^{ab}\partial^{\sigma}\partial^c\\
&= \frac{1}{16}\eta^{ad}\eta^{be}\eta^{cf} \begin{vmatrix}\eta_{\nu d} & \eta_{\nu e} & \eta_{\nu f} \\ \eta_{\rho d} & \eta_{\rho e} & \eta_{\rho f} \\ \eta_{\sigma d} & \eta_{\sigma e} & \eta_{\sigma f} \end{vmatrix}
S^{\nu\rho}S^{ab}\partial^{\sigma}\partial^c\end{align*}$$
At this point things start to get a bit ugly... If one calculates the determinant the first term takes the form ##\eta_{\nu d}\eta_{\rho e}\eta_{\sigma f}## so I thoguht I'd try fist just calculating this one and then worry about the rest. So we get
$$\frac{1}{16}\eta^{ad}\eta^{be}\eta^{cf} \eta_{\nu d}\eta_{\rho e}\eta_{\sigma f}S^{\nu\rho}S^{ab}\partial^{\sigma}\partial^c = \frac{1}{16}S^{ab}S^{ab}\partial^c\partial^c$$
and form here on I'm lost... What exactly am I supposed to do with this expression and how can this result in a scalar value when applied to the bispinor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a bit of starter advice. Instead of reversing all indices in ##W_\mu## simply lower the index with the metric, or rather raise the index since more properly:
[tex]W^\mu = \eta^{\mu\lambda} \varepsilon_{\lambda \nu \rho \sigma} S^{\nu\rho}P^{\sigma}[/tex]

There appear to be other places where your raised and lowered indices don't match up. I'm not clear where your factor fo 1/16 came from. Should you be replacing our S's with gammas?

A bit of helpful notation you may find is to write ##\gamma^{\mu\nu} = 1/2(\gamma^\mu\gamma^\nu - \gamma^\nu\gamma^\mu)## to distinguish spin rep from Lie algebra element.

You should work within the clifford algebra which will allow you to algebraically resolve all those index identities and commutation relations.

Let's see...
Assuming a diagonal basis, ##\gamma^{\alpha\beta} = \gamma^\alpha\gamma^\beta##, likewise ##\gamma^{\alpha\beta\epsilon}=\gamma^\alpha\gamma^\beta\gamma^\epsilon##
and ##\gamma^{\alpha\beta\epsilon\phi}=\gamma^\alpha\gamma^\beta\gamma^\epsilon\gamma^\phi##
but in 4 dimensions this is proportional to the top element ##\gamma^5=\gamma^1\gamma^2\gamma^3\gamma^4##. In particular:
[tex]\gamma^{\alpha\beta\epsilon\phi}=\varepsilon^{\alpha\beta\epsilon\phi}\gamma^5[/tex]
You can also use the fact that the expansion: ##\varepsilon_{\alpha\beta\mu\nu}\gamma^\alpha\gamma^\beta\gamma^\mu\gamma^\nu## will be a sum of zero terms plus the 4! copies of ##\gamma^5##
This let's you absorb these Levi-Civita symbols into the clifford algebra of the gamma matrices.
Look at the wikipedia page on Gamma Matrices for the list of identities. With these you should be able to reduce your expression down to simplified form.

[Addendum] I forgot to mention you can reposition terms in a product of gamma matrices using the anti-commutator. In general
[tex]X\alpha\beta Y = X\{\alpha,\beta\}Y-X\beta\alpha Y[/tex]
and of course: ##\{\gamma^\alpha,\gamma^\beta\} = -2\eta^{\alpha\beta}## and ## \{\gamma^\alpha,\gamma_\beta\} = -2\delta^\alpha_\beta##

Likes Markus Kahn
First of all I'd like to thank you for your suggestions! I think I was able to simplify the problem quite a bit thanks to them. So let me just quickly explain what I did.. As you already said, I messed up some of the indices, which lead to wrong results. I now get
$$W_\mu W^\mu = \frac{1}{4}S_{ab}P_cS^{de}P^f \eta^{a\alpha}\eta^{b\beta}\eta^{c\gamma}\varepsilon_{\mu\alpha\beta\gamma}\varepsilon^{\mu}{}_{def}$$

By making use of the relations you mentioned and the one which were provided on Wikipedia I was able to simplify this to
$$\begin{align*}W_\mu W^\mu &= \frac{3}{2}P^\mu P_\mu +\frac{1}{2}S^{\alpha\beta}P^\gamma S_{\beta\gamma}P_\alpha+ \frac{1}{2}S^{\alpha\beta}P^{\gamma}S_{\gamma\alpha}P_\beta\\
&= \frac{3}{2}P^\mu P_\mu +\frac{1}{2}S^{\alpha\beta} S_{\beta\gamma}P^\gamma P_\alpha+ \frac{1}{2}S^{\beta\alpha}S_{\alpha\gamma}P^{\gamma}P_\beta\\
&= \frac{3}{2}P^\mu P_\mu +S^{\alpha\beta} S_{\beta\gamma}P^\gamma P_\alpha\end{align*},$$
where I just literally calculated every term that was generated by the Levi-Civita contraction on its own and then summed all of them up. And this is where I'm currently stuck.. What I have tried so far
$$\begin{align*}S^{\alpha\beta} S_{\beta\gamma} &= \left(\frac{i}{4}\right)^2 [\gamma^\alpha,\gamma^\beta][\gamma_\beta,\gamma_\gamma]\\
&= -\frac{1}{16}\left(\gamma^\alpha\gamma^\beta\gamma_\beta\gamma_\gamma -\gamma^\alpha\gamma^\beta\gamma_\gamma\gamma_\beta -\gamma^\beta\gamma^\alpha\gamma_\beta\gamma_\gamma +\gamma^\beta\gamma^\alpha\gamma_\gamma\gamma_\beta\right)\\
&=-\frac{1}{16}\left(4\gamma^\alpha\gamma_\gamma +2\gamma^\alpha\gamma_\gamma + 2\gamma^\alpha\gamma_\gamma +4\eta^\alpha{}_\gamma\right)\\
&= -\frac{1}{4}(2\gamma^\alpha\gamma_\gamma +\eta^\alpha{}_\gamma)
\end{align*}$$
Inserting this into the above expression gives
$$W_\mu W^\mu=\frac{3}{2}P^\mu P_\mu -\frac{1}{4}(2\gamma^\alpha\gamma_\gamma +\eta^\alpha{}_\gamma)P^\gamma P_\alpha$$
I'm not really sure how to proceed from here.. To get to the solution I need to show that
$$W_\mu W^\mu = \frac{3}{4}P^\mu P_\mu$$
but for this to be true I need
$$\gamma^\alpha\gamma_\gamma P^\gamma P_\alpha=0 \quad\text{and}\quad \eta^\alpha{}_\gamma P^\gamma P_\alpha = P^\gamma P_\gamma,$$
where the second equation is certainly not true.. Can you maybe help me here?

EDIT: Not sure if this is useful in this situation, but we have
$$2\gamma^\alpha\gamma_\gamma = \gamma^\alpha\gamma_\gamma+\gamma^\alpha\gamma_\gamma = [\gamma^\alpha,\gamma_\gamma]+ 2\eta^\alpha{}_\gamma$$

Last edited:
Markus Kahn said:
$$W_\mu W^\mu=\frac{3}{2}P^\mu P_\mu -\frac{1}{4}(2\gamma^\alpha\gamma_\gamma +\eta^\alpha{}_\gamma)P^\gamma P_\alpha$$
This is correct and simplifies to [do you know that [itex]\eta^{\mu}_{\nu} = \delta^{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex]?]
[tex]W^{2} = \frac{3}{2} P^{2} - \frac{1}{2} \gamma^{\mu} P_{\mu} \gamma^{\nu} P_{\nu} - \frac{1}{4} P^{2} ,[/tex] or [tex]W^{2} = \frac{5}{4} P^{2} - \frac{1}{2} \gamma^{\mu}P_{\mu}\gamma^{\nu}P_{\nu} .[/tex] Now, if you don't know the relation [itex]\gamma^{\mu} P_{\mu} \gamma^{\nu}P_{\nu} = ( \gamma^{\mu}P_{\mu})^{2} = P^{2}[/itex], substitute [itex]P_{\mu} = i \partial_{\mu}[/itex] in the second term and apply [itex]W^{2}[/itex] that to the Dirac spinor [itex]\Psi[/itex]: [tex]W^{2}\Psi (x) = \frac{5}{4} P^{2}\Psi (x) - \frac{1}{2}i \gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} \left(i \gamma^{\nu}\partial_{\nu}\Psi (x) \right) .[/tex] Okay, now use [itex]P^{2}\Psi = m^{2}\Psi[/itex] in the first term, and in the second term use the Dirac equation [itex]i\gamma^{\sigma}\partial_{\sigma}\Psi (x) = m \Psi (x)[/itex] twice.

Last edited:
Likes Markus Kahn

1. What is the Poincare algebra and how is it related to spinors?

The Poincare algebra is a mathematical framework that describes the symmetries of space and time. It is closely related to spinors, which are mathematical objects used to describe the intrinsic angular momentum of particles.

2. What are the eigenvalues of the Poincare algebra for spinors?

The eigenvalues of the Poincare algebra for spinors are the possible values that can be obtained when the algebra is applied to a spinor. These eigenvalues represent the different states of spin of a particle.

3. How are the eigenvalues of the Poincare algebra related to the spin of a particle?

The eigenvalues of the Poincare algebra are directly related to the spin of a particle. The spin of a particle is a quantum mechanical property that is represented by the eigenvalues of the Poincare algebra for spinors.

4. Can the Poincare algebra be used to describe particles with different spins?

Yes, the Poincare algebra is a general framework that can be used to describe particles with different spins. The specific form of the algebra may vary depending on the spin of the particle, but the underlying principles remain the same.

5. How is the Poincare algebra used in theoretical physics?

The Poincare algebra is a fundamental tool in theoretical physics, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It is used to describe the symmetries of space and time, and to understand the behavior of particles with spin. It is also used in the development of quantum field theories and in the study of high-energy physics.