QFT Question: What is meant by dipole form ?

In summary, the form factor of a propagator has a dipole form if the charge distribution is spherically symmetric.
spooky51
QFT Question: What is meant by "dipole form"?

Hello physics people! Probably a very basic question, but here goes.

I'm taking a course on QFT based on Ryder. I've heard my professor refer to propagators as having a "polar" or "dipole" form. Things like (k^2 - m^2 + ie)^(-1)

For anyone who has a copy of Ryder hand, the specific case I'm puzzling over at at the moment is equation 1.20 on page 16, where the text above says that the form factor G_M has a dipole form. ( G_M = (1+q^2/M_q^2)^(-1)).

I'm not sure what is meant by something having a polar/dipole form. I can't seem to find anything on google or wikipedia, but I might not be digging deep enough. Can someone shed some light on this?

Physics news on Phys.org

The form factor is the Fourier transform of the charge distribution,

F(q) = ∫ρ(x) eiq·x d3x

For small q, (long wavelength photons) expand the exponential,

F(q) = ∫ρ(x)(1 + iq·x -(q·x)2/2 + ...) d3x

Keeping only these leading terms is called the dipole approximation. Assuming the charge distribution is spherically symmetric, you get a form factor,

F(q) = 1 + <r2> q2 + ...

where <r2> is the mean square radius of the charge cloud.

Whether you write it this way or in the denominator, (1 - <r2> q2)-1, the idea is the same. Keeping only the leading term in q2 is the dipole approximation.

Last edited:

what you say is dipole approximation which is essentially the point that atomic dimensions are small compared with wavelength.Moreover,the form factor also arises in rosenbluth formula where it has to do with the structured form of proton where form factors really has it's connection to anomalous magnetic moment and also the structure of charge distribution(there are two).I don't know what it has to do with the propagators of a fermion.

1. What is a dipole form in quantum field theory (QFT)?

In QFT, a dipole form refers to the mathematical representation of a particle's electric or magnetic dipole moment. It describes the strength and direction of the particle's electric or magnetic field.

2. How is dipole form related to the quantum mechanical description of a particle?

In quantum mechanics, a particle's dipole moment is described as the expectation value of its position operator. This can be translated into the dipole form in QFT, where the particle's position is represented by a quantum field.

3. Can dipole form be applied to all particles in QFT?

Yes, dipole form can be applied to both elementary particles and composite particles in QFT. It is a fundamental concept that helps to explain the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

4. How does dipole form impact the interactions between particles?

Dipole form plays a crucial role in determining the strength and nature of interactions between particles. It helps to explain phenomena such as electric and magnetic fields, as well as the forces between particles.

5. What are some practical applications of dipole form in QFT?

Dipole form has many practical applications, including in particle physics experiments, as well as in the development of new technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators. It also helps to understand the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemical reactions.