QM:Finding the probabilities of a Hamiltonian measurement

In summary: Yeah just by using the formula for the C_n and taking the bra-ket of the eigenvectors and the initial wavefunction.
~Sam~

Homework Statement

This problem is from Zetelli 3.21
http://imgur.com/wYTNVwz
http://imgur.com/wYTNVwz

Homework Equations

Just the standard probability via product between the eigenfunction and the wavefunction

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the eigenvectors for the Hamiltonian (-i,5,3) (-i,-2,3) (3i,0,1)

I can orthonormalize them, as well as normalize the initial state |y(0)> however I run into a problem when actually calculating the probabilities. I only get complex values and can't seem to get rid of them, especially since the normaliztion factor for |y(0)> is 1/sqrt(-1-16i). Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
~Sam~ said:
I can orthonormalize them
They are already orthogonal, you only need to normalize them.
~Sam~ said:
especially since the normaliztion factor for |y(0)> is 1/sqrt(-1-16i).
Then you must do the normalization wrong. Normalization constant must be real. Can you show us how you normalized ##\psi(0)##?

blue_leaf77 said:
They are already orthogonal, you only need to normalize them.

Then you must do the normalization wrong. Normalization constant must be real. Can you show us how you normalized ##\psi(0)##?

Ahh yes I realize now, I was trying to normalize then in terms of linear algebra instead of quantum mechanics. It looks like it's actually 1/sqrt(59). Normalizing the rest of the vectors and calculating the probabilities using bra-ket squared gives me ~59.322% ~23.73% ~16.95% which sum up to 100% so that looks right? Thank you

~Sam~ said:
I was trying to normalize then in terms of linear algebra instead of quantum mechanics.
Both ways should coincide as linear algebra is one of the bases on which quantum mechanics was established.

blue_leaf77 said:
Both ways should coincide as linear algebra is one of the bases on which quantum mechanics was established.

Seems like the way I was doing it with linear algebra is wrong for complex numbers, just taking the dot product sums and square rooting. Any ways do you have any insight in helping in the part C of finding it how it evolves in time? I know I just need to write out the initial state as a linear combination of the eigenvectors, but the first number is 4-i, and there is no real numbers in the first entry in either three of the eigenvectors, they are just i, -i, and 3i. Same for the other entries

~Sam~ said:
I know I just need to write out the initial state as a linear combination of the eigenvectors
Right.
What you have to do is that you have to write ##\psi(0) = c_1 u_1 + c_2 u_2 + c_3 u_3##. You already have ##\psi(0)##, ##u_1##, ##u_2##, and ##u_3##. What are yet to calculate are the expansion coefficients. How do you normally find the expansion coefficients given the basis your vector is expanded to is orthonormal?

blue_leaf77 said:
Right.
What you have to do is that you have to write ##\psi(0) = c_1 u_1 + c_2 u_2 + c_3 u_3##. You already have ##\psi(0)##, ##u_1##, ##u_2##, and ##u_3##. What are yet to calculate are the expansion coefficients. How do you normally find the expansion coefficients given the basis your vector is expanded to is orthonormal?

Yeah just by using the formula for the C_n and taking the bra-ket of the eigenvectors and the initial wavefunction. I've finished the rest of the problem. Thank you!

Related to QM:Finding the probabilities of a Hamiltonian measurement

1. What is the Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator in quantum mechanics that represents the total energy of a system. It is used to describe the time evolution of a quantum system and is essential in calculating the probabilities of different measurement outcomes.

2. How do you find the probabilities of a Hamiltonian measurement?

The probabilities of a Hamiltonian measurement can be found by calculating the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian operator. The square of the absolute value of the eigenvectors corresponds to the probability of obtaining that specific eigenvalue in a measurement.

3. What is the significance of the probabilities in a Hamiltonian measurement?

The probabilities in a Hamiltonian measurement represent the likelihood of obtaining a certain result when measuring the energy of a quantum system. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior and evolution of quantum systems.

4. Can the probabilities in a Hamiltonian measurement change over time?

Yes, the probabilities in a Hamiltonian measurement can change over time as the state of a quantum system evolves. This is because the Hamiltonian operator describes the time evolution of a system, and as the system evolves, the probabilities of different measurement outcomes may also change.

5. How are the probabilities of a Hamiltonian measurement experimentally determined?

The probabilities of a Hamiltonian measurement can be experimentally determined by performing multiple measurements on identical quantum systems and recording the frequencies of different measurement outcomes. These frequencies can then be used to calculate the probabilities of obtaining each outcome.