Quanta article about Renate Loll

In summary, Renate Loll has proposed that the emergence of spacetime and its properties, such as locality and causality, can be understood through abstract information processing principles rather than being inherent to spacetime itself. This could potentially provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe.
Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't causality follow from spacetime itself instead of putting it in by hand in order to calculate a path integral?

Likes martinbn, kodama and atyy
If one wants to understand the emergence of spacetime, and ask why 4D, and why a particular geometry I think one needs some primary constructing principles, the question is which ones.

I think one can entertain the precursors of locality and causality in more abstract information theoretic forms that does not use spacetime. If one imagines macroscopic spacetime to emerget from an abstraction infromation processing layer, then various forms of "information goemetry" that introduce the concept of distance from statistical/probabilistical measures. I think "locality" and "causality" can be more abstractly interpreted so that information processes are influenced only by available information(ie "local"), and it's outputs and actions are independent of what it is hidden from them (causality).

/Fredrik