Quantization Rules: Momentum, Energy & Angular Momentum

• Thread starter xboy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the quantization rules for momentum and energy in quantum mechanics and whether they are axioms or because they satisfy the expressions for conserved quantities. The Born-Jordan commutation relations are mentioned as being axiomatized. The Stone-Von Neumann theorem is also brought up as a reason for why the specific momentum operator is chosen. The conversation also touches on the connection between classical and quantum mechanics and the role of operators in defining momentum and position. The speaker expresses a preference for using well-tested assumptions rather than axioms in physics.
xboy
Are the quantization rules for momentum and energy axioms of quantum mechanics? Do we have such quantization rules because the expressions for energy,momentum and angular momentum they furnish are conserved?Or are there any other reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, the Born-Jordan commutation relatons are axiomatized, not the quantization prescrptions for classical observables.

so what's the deal here?why do we quantize the classical variables in the prescribed way and no other?

Because they're essentially unique, by the Stone-Von Neumann theorem. The only trouble we get is when ordering comes into place for noncommuting operators.

ok,so why do we have the operator for momentum that we have?why that particular operator and no other?

Dexter, I like your answers, but they are so mathematical it gets confusing at times. Anyway...

Okay, so let's just pick the standard position space representation of momentum and position operators, and a wave function. Now suppose that instead of [tex]p = -i \hbar \partial_x[/tex] we pick [tex]p = - i \hbar \partial_x + f(x)[/tex]. This most certainly satisfies the canonical commutation relations. But we also like to have momentum be the generator of space translations, so that
[tex]\psi(x + a) = \exp[i p a/\hbar] \psi(x)[/tex]
Okay, now pretend that our momentum operator is the new one, and we want to look at the momentum operator acting on the translated wave function. Since all we did was shift our coordinates, we expect the action of the momentum on the wave function to be the same, yes?

Well,
[tex] -i \hbar \partial_x \psi(x + a) = -i \hbar \partial_x \exp[i/\hbar (-i \hbar \partial_x + f(x) ) a] \psi(x)[/tex]
Do you see that this adds terms that go like [tex]f'(x)[/tex] to the momentum operator? This is why you can't add an arbitrary function of x to the momentum operator. If you add a constant to it, all you do is change the wave function by a phase that you can't detect anyway, so this gets the job done.

Last edited:
No,my question is why do we call it 'momentum'?what has this got to do with momentum as defined in classical mechanics?

xboy said:
No,my question is why do we call it 'momentum'?what has this got to do with momentum as defined in classical mechanics?

Then why do we call

[tex] \hat{x}=i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial p} [/tex]

"coordinate", what does it have to do with the "x" in classical mechanics ?

xboy said:

How about this:

In classical mechanics, we have [itex]\{x,p\}=1[/itex], and since we have the similar relation [itex][x,p]=i\hbar[/itex] in quantum mechanics, we are inspired to identify position and momentum with those operators.

Furthermore, momentum is the conserved quantity given space translation symmetry in both formalisms, and so again we are inspired to define them as we have done.

xboy said:
Did you read the post above this carefully? Classically, momentum is the generator of infinitesimal translations. You want to retain that in the quantum case.

There are a lot of clues in the contact transformation approach to classical mechanics -- see Goldstein, for example. But, I like to think of the formulation of operator-based QM as inspired guess work. Note that it took many brilliant physicists quite a few years to get this stuff straight. Indeed it is not obvious.

I've been told that I'm in the hard-nosed, empirically based group of physicists -- watch out, we may rule the world someday. That is, we use the operators for p, x, J, etc, because they work, and are at the very essence of QM. My personal bias is that axioms are great in math, but not appropriate for physics. I prefer "well tested assumptions" as the catch all phrase. Strictly a matter of taste.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

1. What is quantization in physics?

Quantization is a concept in physics that refers to the restriction of certain physical quantities, such as momentum, energy, and angular momentum, to discrete, quantized values instead of continuous ones. This means that these quantities can only take on specific, defined values rather than any value in between.

2. Why do momentum, energy, and angular momentum need to be quantized?

In classical physics, these quantities were thought to be continuous and could take on any value. However, when studying the behavior of subatomic particles, it was found that these quantities could only exist in discrete, quantized states. This led to the development of quantum mechanics, which explains the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale.

3. What are the rules for quantization of momentum?

The quantization rule for momentum states that the momentum of a particle can only take on values that are multiples of a fundamental unit known as Planck's constant, denoted as h. This means that the momentum of a particle can only have values of nh, where n is an integer.

4. How is energy quantized?

The quantization of energy is similar to momentum in that it can only take on values that are multiples of Planck's constant. However, the energy quantization rule also takes into account the frequency of the particle's wave-like behavior. The energy of a particle can only exist in discrete, quantized states given by the equation E=nhv, where n is an integer and v is the frequency of the particle.

5. How does quantization of angular momentum affect the behavior of particles?

The quantization of angular momentum, also known as spin, has a significant impact on the behavior of particles. It determines the orientation and alignment of a particle's spin, which can affect its interaction with other particles and its overall behavior. The quantization rule for angular momentum states that its values can only be integers or half-integers times Planck's constant divided by 2π.