Quantum dot tattoo vaccine marker

In summary, there are articles discussing a proposed method of vaccinating individuals and tracking their vaccination status through the use of quantum dot tattoos. This has sparked conspiracy theories about the vaccine being used for tracking purposes, but there is no evidence of quantum physics being involved in this proposed method.
artis
Hey, I found these interesting articles about a proposed way of vaccinating people while also applying a biomarker on them which would help remember one's vaccination status.
https://news.rice.edu/2019/12/18/quantum-dot-tattoos-hold-vaccination-record/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7532118/

Now I think this is also the source for the many conspiracy theories about the vaccine and it being used as tracking/chips etc.
Also I can't figure out why it has the word "quantum" in the title because as far as I am aware there doesn't seem to be anything regarding quantum physics involved here.

Biology news on Phys.org
artis said:
Also I can't figure out why it has the word "quantum" in the title because as far as I am aware there doesn't seem to be anything regarding quantum physics involved here.
A "quantum dot" is a nanoscale semiconductor particle that has luminescent properties that are described by quantum mechanics.

Likes atyy and BillTre

1. What is a quantum dot tattoo vaccine marker?

A quantum dot tattoo vaccine marker is a technology that uses tiny semiconductor crystals, called quantum dots, to create a unique, invisible pattern on the skin. This pattern can be used to track whether a person has received a particular vaccine.

2. How does a quantum dot tattoo vaccine marker work?

The quantum dots in the tattoo are made of a material that emits light when exposed to certain wavelengths. They are encapsulated in a biocompatible coating and injected into the skin, where they are taken up by immune cells. When a specific vaccine is administered, the immune cells release the quantum dots, creating a distinct pattern that can be scanned and read by a special device.

3. Are quantum dot tattoo vaccine markers safe?

Yes, quantum dot tattoo vaccine markers are considered safe. The materials used are biocompatible and have been extensively tested in other medical applications. Additionally, the amount of quantum dots used in the tattoo is very small and does not pose any health risks.

4. Can the quantum dot tattoo be removed?

Yes, the quantum dot tattoo can be removed through a simple laser procedure. The laser breaks down the quantum dots, allowing the body to safely eliminate them. However, this removal procedure is not necessary unless there is a medical reason to do so.

5. How can quantum dot tattoo vaccine markers benefit society?

Quantum dot tattoo vaccine markers have the potential to greatly improve vaccine tracking and administration. They can provide a more accurate record of who has received a vaccine and when, which can be especially helpful in developing countries with limited medical records. Additionally, this technology can help prevent the spread of diseases by ensuring that individuals are vaccinated and can easily prove it.