Quantum fluctuations within an electromagnetic field

In summary, the term "quantum fluctuations" is often used as a buzzword for the statistical variance of a quantum operator, rather than an actual physical phenomenon. The concept is not necessary in lattice theory, as demonstrated by the Casmir force and spontaneous emission. The idea of fluctuations in the vacuum is also often misconstrued and used to promote quantum mysticism. For a more in-depth explanation, refer to Chapter A8: Virtual particles and vacuum fluctuations of the theoretical physics FAQ.
J-eastwood
hello,

I was wondering what caused quantum fluctuations within an electromagnetic field as i recently accepted that there are no virtual particles what causes the energy to fluctuate. here the quantum fluctuations are said to be caused by virtual particles.

essentially I'm asking for an explanation of quantum fluctuations in regards to lattice QFT.

thank you, jonah

Physics news on Phys.org
J-eastwood said:
I was wondering what caused quantum fluctuations within an electromagnetic field as i recently accepted that there are no virtual particles what causes the energy to fluctuate. here the quantum fluctuations are said to be caused by virtual particles.essentially I'm asking for an explanation of quantum fluctuations in regards to lattice QFT.

I know of no effects that depends on fluctuations of the quantum vacuum so my answer is they are not needed so forget about them. That they are not needed explains why they don't have to appear in lattice theory.

The Casmir force and spontaneous emission don't require it.

Thanks
Bill

Likes OCR
Quantum fluctuations are not caused at all. They are a popular buzzword for the statistical triviality that the variance of a random variable ##A## with zero mean is typically not zero - except that ##A## is now an operator such as (a smeared variant of) ##\phi(x)##. Some people therefore think that this deserves a much more mysterious name. (See also this post and its context.)

More precisely, there are two uses of the term; a technical one that means precisely what I wrote, and popular one that associates with the quantum fluctuation weird stuff with a temporal behavior that is not observable, and thus figures only in the minds of those who enjoy quantum mysticism. (For example, the vacuum is temporally completely inert, but the vacuum fluctuations of most fields are nonzero.)

This is explained in more depth in the section ''Does the vacuum fluctuate?'' in Chapter A8: Virtual particles and vacuum fluctuations of my theoretical physics FAQ and other articles of this chapter.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba

1. What are quantum fluctuations within an electromagnetic field?

Quantum fluctuations within an electromagnetic field refer to the unpredictable, temporary changes in the energy and intensity of the electromagnetic field at a very small, quantum scale. These fluctuations are a result of the inherent uncertainty in quantum mechanics.

2. How do quantum fluctuations affect the behavior of particles within an electromagnetic field?

Quantum fluctuations can cause particles within an electromagnetic field to behave in unpredictable ways. For example, they can cause particles to briefly appear and disappear, or to interact with each other in unexpected ways. These fluctuations play a crucial role in many quantum phenomena and can have a significant impact on particle interactions.

3. Can quantum fluctuations be observed or measured?

Quantum fluctuations are incredibly small and occur at a microscopic scale, making them difficult to directly observe or measure. However, their effects can be indirectly observed through advanced experiments and calculations. These observations have provided evidence for the existence of quantum fluctuations within an electromagnetic field.

4. Are quantum fluctuations within an electromagnetic field the same as virtual particles?

Quantum fluctuations and virtual particles are closely related concepts, but they are not exactly the same. Virtual particles are a mathematical concept used to describe the effects of quantum fluctuations on particle interactions. While quantum fluctuations are real, measurable phenomena, virtual particles are a theoretical construct used to explain their effects.

5. How do quantum fluctuations within an electromagnetic field relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. Quantum fluctuations within an electromagnetic field contribute to this uncertainty by causing unpredictable changes in a particle's energy and momentum. This principle is essential to understanding the behavior of particles at a quantum level and is closely tied to the concept of quantum fluctuations.