Quantum foam ruled out by distant quasars

In summary, the author has constructed an intractable logic puzzle and excluded most QG models based on the results.
windy miller
In this paper https://arxiv.org/pdf/1108.6005.pdf
It is claimed that
'Our results indicate that most of the models of space-time foam consistent with the holographic principle and, consequently, with black hole entropy, can be ruled out for most of the values of the fluctuation amplitude parameter a0. '
But i find it hard to believe that models like string theory and loop quantum gravity have been ruled out. We should surely know about that if it had happened. So what are they referring to? Can anyone elaborate?

Space news on Phys.org
The paper has constructed an intractable logic puzzle. Under results, it is asserted “By adopting the most conservative approach where the correction terms, that describe the possibility for space-time fluctuations cumulating [sic] across long distances and partially compensate for the effects of the phase variations, are taken into account.” We exclude the random walk model and most of the holographic models of the space-time foam” [For sake of brevity, let's just call, 'correction factors' a pink dog. and 'random walk & holographic models' fleas]. This is followed by the assertion “Without considering these correction terms [aka pink dogs], all the main QG scenarios are excluded.“ Let's call 'the main QG scenarios' a collar. Assuming my recollection of logic is sound; if a pink dog has no fleas, and a not pink dog has no collar, what color is a dog with a collar?

Chronos said:
The paper has constructed an intractable logic puzzle. Under results, it is asserted “By adopting the most conservative approach where the correction terms, that describe the possibility for space-time fluctuations cumulating [sic] across long distances and partially compensate for the effects of the phase variations, are taken into account.” We exclude the random walk model and most of the holographic models of the space-time foam” [For sake of brevity, let's just call, 'correction factors' a pink dog. and 'random walk & holographic models' fleas]. This is followed by the assertion “Without considering these correction terms [aka pink dogs], all the main QG scenarios are excluded.“ Let's call 'the main QG scenarios' a collar. Assuming my recollection of logic is sound; if a pink dog has no fleas, and a not pink dog has no collar, what color is a dog with a collar?
Thans for your answer. I am not sure I fully understood what you are getting at. but maybe I should ask this question do the main quantum gravity theories predict this effect or not?

1. What is quantum foam?

Quantum foam is a hypothetical concept in quantum physics that suggests the fabric of spacetime is constantly fluctuating at the smallest scales, creating a foam-like structure.

2. How can distant quasars rule out quantum foam?

Distant quasars emit highly energetic particles called gamma rays, which can be affected by the presence of quantum foam. By studying the arrival time of these gamma rays from distant quasars, scientists can test the existence of quantum foam.

3. What did the study on distant quasars reveal about quantum foam?

The study found that the arrival times of gamma rays from distant quasars were consistent with the predictions of Einstein's theory of general relativity, ruling out the existence of quantum foam.

4. What are the implications of ruling out quantum foam?

Ruling out quantum foam has significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental nature of spacetime and the laws of physics. It also has implications for theories that attempt to unify quantum mechanics and general relativity.

5. Are there any alternative theories to explain the fluctuations in spacetime?

There are various alternative theories, such as loop quantum gravity and string theory, that attempt to explain the fluctuations in spacetime without the need for quantum foam. However, more research and evidence are needed to determine the validity of these theories.