Quantum Mechanics and the Nature of Determinism

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Curious6
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mechanical Quantum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
30 replies · 6K views
The Dagda said:
I agree but I was talking more broadly. Thus the confusion, of course in experiment the model is perfectly deterministic given the assumption that the wave is real, that does not lead to the conclusion though that QM is deterministic, that is an unknown.

If that is all that matters to you then you have MWI, and are no doubt happy with its conclusions, however not everyone agrees that this means QM is fundamentally deterministic nor does there seem to be experimentally any indication that it isn't "random" or at least ill defined. If you actually look up the definition of deterministic, probability is not the least of your concerns.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're saying or what the premise of your argument is. You seem to be mistaken in believing that stage 1 deterministic time evolution demands MWI by itself. This assuredly is not the case, and is only an interpretation of the quantum formalism. Of course measurement outcomes are probalistic, but the pre-measurement probability distribution evovles in a perfectly deterministic manner in any interpretational framework. The philosophy of quantum mechanics is without a doubt an exceedingly complex and counter-intuitive endeavor, but I think you're getting hung up on a non-problem.