Quantum Mechanics: Base on which an operator is given

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the basis on which a given operator is represented in order to solve a quantum mechanics problem. The solution is to use the definition of orthonormal bases and the matrix representation of the operator to obtain the basis vectors. The basis must be chosen to be real in order to accurately represent the operator.
Telemachus
The thing is that often in the problems on quantum mechanics I've found that an operator is given, but not the base on which it is represented. I'll give an especific example in a moment. So then the problem asks me to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors for a given operator and to express it in the basis on which the operator is given, but the base is not given. I know that the information of the base is implicit in the operator it self, but I was wondering on which method I should use to find that base (I thought of using the typical matrix reduction of linear algebra, but I don't think that's the better way to do this). I'll take a problem from Cohen Tannoudji to picture what I mean.

Page 203, Cohen Tannoudji, problem 2, complement HII (I'll do incise c):

Consider an operator whose matrix, in an orthornormal basis ##\{ \left| 1 \right\rangle , \left| 2 \right\rangle, \left| 3 \right\rangle \} ## is:

##L_y=
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & \sqrt{2} & 0\\
-\sqrt{2} & 0 & \sqrt{2}\\
0 & -\sqrt{2} & 0\\
\end{bmatrix}##

So, the exercise asks me to find the eigenvalues and the eigenvectors, and give their normalized expansion in terms of the basis ##\{ \left| 1 \right\rangle , \left| 2 \right\rangle, \left| 3 \right\rangle \} ##.So, the question is, what should I do to know what the vectors of the basis ##\{ \left| 1 \right\rangle , \left| 2 \right\rangle, \left| 3 \right\rangle \} ## are? so then I can express the eigenvectors in terms of the vectors of this basis.

From the secular equation I get the eigenvalues ##\lambda_1=0, \lambda_2=2i, \lambda_3=-2i##

From the first eigenvalue I get the eigenvector: ##\left| \lambda_1 \right\rangle=\frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix}
1\\
0\\
1\\
\end{bmatrix}##

So, what I want is to express this vector in the basis ##\{ \left| 1 \right\rangle , \left| 2 \right\rangle, \left| 3 \right\rangle \} ##, but what that kets are? how do I obtain them?

I thought of using the fact that the matrix elements are given by ##L_{y;m,n}= \langle m | \hat L_y \left| n \right\rangle## but I've tried with a random matrix, only for one element, and get to an identity 0=0, so then I desisted, but I should try with this specific example now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially by definition, the column matrix representation of ##|1\rangle## in the basis ##\{ \left| 1 \right\rangle , \left| 2 \right\rangle, \left| 3 \right\rangle \} ## is

##\begin{bmatrix}
\langle 1 | 1 \rangle\\
\langle 2 | 1 \rangle\\
\langle 3 | 1\rangle\\
\end{bmatrix}##

etc.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for your answer TSny.

What ##| 1 \rangle## is then? the other projections will give zero, because it's an orthonormal basis, but how do I know what ##\langle 1 | 1 \rangle, \langle 2 | 2 \rangle , \langle 3 | 3 \rangle## are? they are not given, I just have the matrix representation for the given operator on that basis (which I know it must contain this information, I'm trying to know how to get it from it on the easiest way).

Think about the meaning of orthonormal.

Likes 1 person
ups! haha I'm such an idiot. I knew this was a silly question. Thanks.

##| 1 \rangle=\begin{bmatrix}
1\\
0\\
0\\
\end{bmatrix}, | 2 \rangle=\begin{bmatrix}
0\\
1\\
0\\
\end{bmatrix}, | 3 \rangle=\begin{bmatrix}
0\\
0\\
1\\
\end{bmatrix}##

The basis could also be complex, right? I mean, this was trivial. Is always this way? can I choose any orthonormal basis?

Telemachus said:
The basis could also be complex, right? I mean, this was trivial. Is always this way? can I choose any orthonormal basis?

No. If you multiplied the basis vectors by complex phase factors, then it would generally change the matrix representation of your operators. So, whenever you have a matrix representation of an operator, you should assume that the representation is in terms of the real basis vectors (1, 0, 0), etc.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What is the concept of an operator in quantum mechanics?

An operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical representation of a physical observable or property. It acts on quantum states to produce new states, and the expectation value of the operator corresponds to the average measurement of that observable in a given quantum state.

2. How are operators used in quantum mechanics?

Operators are used to describe the evolution of quantum systems over time and to make predictions about the outcomes of measurements. They play a central role in the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics and are essential for understanding the behavior of particles on a quantum level.

3. What is the significance of the base on which an operator is given?

The base on which an operator is given refers to the set of mathematical functions used to represent the operator. These functions are known as eigenfunctions and they form the basis for the operator's corresponding eigenvalues, which represent the possible outcomes of a measurement. The base on which an operator is given is crucial for understanding the behavior of a quantum system and making predictions about its measurements.

4. Can operators be used to describe all physical observables?

Yes, operators can be used to describe all physical observables in quantum mechanics. This is known as the correspondence principle, which states that classical observables and their corresponding operators should produce the same results in the classical limit. However, there are some observables, such as position and momentum, that do not have well-defined operators in quantum mechanics.

5. How do operators relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. Operators are used to represent these observables, and their corresponding eigenvalues give the possible outcomes of measurements. The uncertainty principle is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is closely related to the mathematical formalism of operators.