1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers by Miller

1. Strongly Recommend

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Lightly recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lightly don't recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Strongly don't recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dec 11, 2013 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2013 #2
    I won't cast a vote until I'm done reading it, but I was recommended this book by an engineering prof I know, and it's been really good so far. It's well-written, and it seems to teach you QM "properly," at a level which is at least comparable to books like Shankar and Griffiths, but with more of a mind on applications than those books. The very first chapter of the book tries to motivate the subject by answering the question "when do engineers actually need to know QM in order to design stuff?"

Based on what I've read so far, I would definitely reccomend this to any engineer who wants to learn QM "properly."

He says in the preface that the coverage and depth are substantial enough that it could be used as an introductory text for physicists. While I think he's right that you could use it, I don't think it's really the best book for that purpose. I would still recommend this book to aspiring physicists, but I would reccomend it as a complement to one of the standard books (like Shankar, for example) rather than as a core text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted