Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers by Miller

In summary, "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David A. B. Miller is a highly recommended book for engineers looking to learn QM in a comprehensive and practical way. While it may also be used as an introductory text for physicists, it is best used as a complementary resource to other standard books on the subject. The first chapter successfully motivates the subject by addressing its relevance in engineering design. The book is well-written and offers a level of depth comparable to other popular QM books.

For those who have used this book

• Strongly Recommend

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Lightly recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly don't recommend

• Strongly don't recommend

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
I won't cast a vote until I'm done reading it, but I was recommended this book by an engineering prof I know, and it's been really good so far. It's well-written, and it seems to teach you QM "properly," at a level which is at least comparable to books like Shankar and Griffiths, but with more of a mind on applications than those books. The very first chapter of the book tries to motivate the subject by answering the question "when do engineers actually need to know QM in order to design stuff?"

Based on what I've read so far, I would definitely reccomend this to any engineer who wants to learn QM "properly."

He says in the preface that the coverage and depth are substantial enough that it could be used as an introductory text for physicists. While I think he's right that you could use it, I don't think it's really the best book for that purpose. I would still recommend this book to aspiring physicists, but I would reccomend it as a complement to one of the standard books (like Shankar, for example) rather than as a core text.

1. What is the purpose of "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers by Miller"?

The purpose of this book is to provide a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics for scientists and engineers. It covers the essential topics of quantum mechanics, including wave-particle duality, wave functions, operators, and quantum measurement.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in quantum mechanics?

Yes, "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers by Miller" is written for those with little to no prior knowledge of quantum mechanics. It starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them, making it suitable for beginners.

3. Does the book cover advanced topics in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the book covers advanced topics such as quantum entanglement, quantum computing, and quantum field theory. It also includes numerous exercises and examples to help readers deepen their understanding of these topics.

4. Can this book be used as a textbook for a college course on quantum mechanics?

Yes, "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers by Miller" can be used as a textbook for a college course on quantum mechanics. It is written in a clear and concise manner, with numerous illustrations and examples, making it suitable for classroom use.

5. Does the book include real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Yes, the book includes real-world examples and applications of quantum mechanics in fields such as chemistry, biology, and technology. These examples help readers understand the practical applications of quantum mechanics in the world around us.