Kleppner for Physics for Scientists and Engineers I

In summary, it is recommended to use Kleppner's Intro to Mechanics and Knight's Physics for Scientists and Engineers together for a first semester calculus-based physics course. It is advised to start with problems from Knight's book to gain a good understanding of the material before attempting problems from Kleppner's book. It is also suggested to read Kleppner's book without doing the exercises, as long as exercises are done from another source.
Amrator
Would it be a good idea to use Kleppner's Intro to Mechanics and Knight's Physics for Scientists and Engineers together for a first semester calculus-based physics course (I will also be taking Calculus 2)? I would read Kleppner and do the problems in Knight. I hear really good things about Kleppner but I also hear it is incredibly difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can do that. Starting with problems you can do will help get you a good understanding of the material. After you have some mastery of the basic material, you can try some of the problems in Kleppner for fun. Reading Kleppner without doing the exercises is good, as long as you do exercises from somewhere.

Likes Amrator
Thank you, atyy. I think this is what I will do.

1. What is the main focus of "Kleppner for Physics for Scientists and Engineers I"?

The main focus of "Kleppner for Physics for Scientists and Engineers I" is to provide a comprehensive introduction to the fundamental principles and concepts of physics, with an emphasis on problem-solving skills and real-world applications.

2. Is this book suitable for non-physics majors?

Yes, "Kleppner for Physics for Scientists and Engineers I" is designed for both physics majors and non-physics majors who are interested in learning the basics of physics. The book does not assume any prior knowledge of physics, making it accessible to students from a variety of academic backgrounds.

3. Are there any interactive resources included with this book?

Yes, the book comes with access to an online platform where students can access interactive simulations, practice problems, and additional study materials to enhance their learning experience.

4. How is the content organized in this book?

The book is divided into chapters that cover various topics in physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity and magnetism. Each chapter includes a clear and concise explanation of the concepts, followed by examples and practice problems to reinforce understanding.

5. Can this book be used for self-study?

Yes, "Kleppner for Physics for Scientists and Engineers I" is designed to be a self-study guide, with a user-friendly format and thorough explanations to help students learn at their own pace. However, it can also be used as a supplement to a traditional classroom setting.