Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum physics explanation problem

1. May 1, 2013 #1
    i have a friend and i am trying to explain to him that untill it interacts with something it is evrywhere and no where but has more of a probability in being in place a than place b or c but untill it interacts we dont know so there for it is evrywhere. that is the concept as i understand it. he says it is in one spot but has probability of being evrywhere who is right and if me how do i convince him?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2013 #2
    What is "it" referring to?

4. May 2, 2013 #3
    We don't have an answer yet Hawkdron496.

For example there is an (quantum) interpretation that posits:

The photon/particle/electron passes through one slit (in a single particle double slit experiment) and its (probability) wave function "passes" through both. And then the wave-functions interfere.

This would slightly favor our friend's idea. Or you could find an interpretation that tends to favor your idea.

Or you could ask him to treat you to ice cream or pizza or whatever... if you were to provide him with an interpretation that favors his idea....;)

What we know is that some of our equations and mathematics (the concept of probability wave-function and its propagation) works very well.

We don't know yet how to interpret the mathematics "physically/in-reality"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook