Quantum physics explanation problem

In summary, the concept being discussed is the behavior of a particle before it interacts with anything. It is both everywhere and nowhere, with a higher probability of being in one place over another. The speaker is trying to explain this concept to their friend, who believes the particle is in one specific spot but with a probability of being everywhere. Both ideas have supporting interpretations, but the mathematics used to explain it is not yet fully understood.
hawkdron496
i have a friend and i am trying to explain to him that until it interacts with something it is evrywhere and no where but has more of a probability in being in place a than place b or c but until it interacts we don't know so there for it is evrywhere. that is the concept as i understand it. he says it is in one spot but has probability of being evrywhere who is right and if me how do i convince him?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is "it" referring to?

hawkdron496 said:
i have a friend and i am trying to explain to him that until it interacts with something it is evrywhere and no where but has more of a probability in being in place a than place b or c but until it interacts we don't know so there for it is evrywhere. that is the concept as i understand it. he says it is in one spot but has probability of being evrywhere who is right and if me how do i convince him?

We don't have an answer yet Hawkdron496.

For example there is an (quantum) interpretation that posits:

The photon/particle/electron passes through one slit (in a single particle double slit experiment) and its (probability) wave function "passes" through both. And then the wave-functions interfere.

This would slightly favor our friend's idea. Or you could find an interpretation that tends to favor your idea.

Or you could ask him to treat you to ice cream or pizza or whatever... if you were to provide him with an interpretation that favors his idea...;)

What we know is that some of our equations and mathematics (the concept of probability wave-function and its propagation) works very well.

We don't know yet how to interpret the mathematics "physically/in-reality"

1. What is the "Quantum physics explanation problem"?

The Quantum physics explanation problem refers to the difficulty of explaining and understanding the fundamental principles and phenomena of quantum physics. This includes concepts such as superposition, entanglement, and wave-particle duality, which challenge our traditional understanding of how the universe works.

2. Why is it difficult to explain quantum physics?

Quantum physics is difficult to explain because it operates on a microscopic scale and follows different rules than classical physics. The behavior of particles at the quantum level can seem counterintuitive and defy our traditional understanding of cause and effect.

3. How does quantum physics differ from classical physics?

Classical physics describes the behavior of objects on a macroscopic scale, while quantum physics describes the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. In classical physics, objects have definite properties such as position and momentum, while in quantum physics, these properties are described by probability distributions.

4. What is the role of uncertainty in quantum physics?

Uncertainty is a fundamental principle in quantum physics. It states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level, which can only be described by probabilities.

5. How is quantum physics relevant in our daily lives?

Quantum physics has led to many technological advancements, such as transistors, lasers, and GPS systems, which have greatly impacted our daily lives. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, which are the building blocks of all matter.