Quantum view of time versus relativistic view of time

In summary, the conversation was about a research project on time, specifically the question of whether our perception of time is an illusion. Two main viewpoints were established - the relativistic view of time and the quantum view. While there are clashes between the two, these are philosophical interpretations rather than scientific evidence. Links to further reading were requested but it was noted that they may not meet guidelines as the topic is more philosophical than scientific. It was also mentioned that the clash between the two views has been resolved in modern Quantum Field Theory. The conversation also touched on the idea of a block universe and the concept of time being quantifiable, but ultimately it was stated that both views are compatible with the evidence and math of relativity and quantum mechanics.
Jonny Cruz
I'm doing a research project on time, the title being "Is our perception of time an illusion?" I have essentially established two main viewpoints, being the relativistic view of time and the quantum view. They both clash of course like in every other way, so I am interested to see if anyone has any opinions or comments regarding my question and even if they agree on wider implications like free will. I am less informed on time in quantum mechanics so input on that would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jonny Cruz said:
I'm doing a research project on time
If this is a school project, what level?

jtbell said:
If this is a school project, what level?
Well I am in year 12 in England if that's what you mean I don't know how that translates to the US

Jonny Cruz said:
I'm doing a research project on time, the title being "Is our perception of time an illusion?" I have essentially established two main viewpoints, being the relativistic view of time and the quantum view. They both clash of course like in every other way, so I am interested to see if anyone has any opinions or comments regarding my question and even if they agree on wider implications like free will. I am less informed on time in quantum mechanics so input on that would be appreciated.
Can you post a few links to the reading you've been doing on your project? :smile:

Jonny Cruz said:
I have essentially established two main viewpoints, being the relativistic view of time and the quantum view. They both clash of course
That could be a problem. The modern Quantum Field Theory uses the relativistic view of space and time. So they don't clash.

Early versions of quantum mechanics did clash with special relativity, but that has been resolved for several decades.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Can you post a few links to the reading you've been doing on your project?

Is that a good idea? I suspect most links on this topic will not meet PF guidelines. The question is philosophical, not scientific.

Vanadium 50 said:
Is that a good idea? I suspect most links on this topic will not meet PF guidelines. The question is philosophical, not scientific.
Oh, oops, sorry. I did not realize that. Thanks V50.

Dale said:
That could be a problem. The modern Quantum Field Theory uses the relativistic view of space and time. So they don't clash.

Early versions of quantum mechanics did clash with special relativity, but that has been resolved for several decades.
Oh right from I had gathered relativity implies that we live in a block universe with no flow of time due to things like the relativity of simultaneity and other things. Whereas thinking of time in quantum mechanics there are things like many worlds theory which preserves ideas like free will and even the idea that time is quantifiable, suggesting that our reality is actually a set of freeze frames like in a movie with each freeze frame havinga time interval of the Planck time. This implies that there is no flow of time and rather time is choppy and quantifiable, its just we can't see it. So it seemed like they clashed.

Both of those views of time are philosophical interpretations, and they are determined by one's philosophical preferences rather than any scientific evidence. I believe that the philosophical literature calls them A series and B series.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-series_and_B-series

But either are compatible with both the evidence and the math of relativity and quantum mechanics.

1. How does the concept of time differ in quantum mechanics compared to relativity?

In quantum mechanics, time is considered to be a fundamental and continuous aspect of the universe, while in relativity it is seen as a relative and malleable quantity affected by the speed of an observer and the presence of gravitational fields.

2. Can the two views of time be reconciled or integrated?

There have been attempts to reconcile the two views, such as the theory of quantum gravity, but a complete integration has not yet been achieved. Both theories have been successful in their own domains, but further research is needed to fully understand the relationship between them.

3. How does the concept of time affect our understanding of the quantum world?

In quantum mechanics, time is seen as a probability distribution rather than a linear progression. This allows for phenomena such as quantum tunneling and entanglement which challenge our classical understanding of cause and effect.

4. What implications does the quantum view of time have for the arrow of time?

In quantum mechanics, the arrow of time is not as clear cut as in classical physics. Some interpretations of quantum mechanics suggest that time may be reversible, meaning the future can affect the past. This challenges our understanding of causality and the direction of time.

5. How does the concept of time affect the behavior of particles in the quantum world?

In quantum mechanics, particles do not have definite positions and velocities, but rather exist as a wave of probabilities. This means that the behavior of particles is unpredictable and can only be described in terms of probabilities, rather than definite outcomes based on initial conditions.