Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Quantum view of time versus relativistic view of time

1. Sep 1, 2016 #1
    I'm doing a research project on time, the title being "Is our perception of time an illusion?" I have essentially established two main viewpoints, being the relativistic view of time and the quantum view. They both clash of course like in every other way, so Im interested to see if anyone has any opinions or comments regarding my question and even if they agree on wider implications like free will. Im less informed on time in quantum mechanics so input on that would be appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2016 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If this is a school project, what level?

4. Sep 1, 2016 #3
    Well im in year 12 in England if thats what you mean I dont know how that translates to the US

5. Sep 1, 2016 #4

berkeman

Can you post a few links to the reading you've been doing on your project? :smile:

6. Sep 1, 2016 #5

Dale

That could be a problem. The modern Quantum Field Theory uses the relativistic view of space and time. So they don't clash.

Early versions of quantum mechanics did clash with special relativity, but that has been resolved for several decades.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  7. Sep 1, 2016 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Is that a good idea? I suspect most links on this topic will not meet PF guidelines. The question is philosophical, not scientific.

8. Sep 1, 2016 #7

berkeman

Oh, oops, sorry. I did not realize that. Thanks V50.

9. Sep 2, 2016 #8
    Oh right from I had gathered relativity implies that we live in a block universe with no flow of time due to things like the relativity of simultaneity and other things. Whereas thinking of time in quantum mechanics there are things like many worlds theory which preserves ideas like free will and even the idea that time is quantifiable, suggesting that our reality is actually a set of freeze frames like in a movie with each freeze frame havinga time interval of the planck time. This implies that there is no flow of time and rather time is choppy and quantifiable, its just we cant see it. So it seemed like they clashed.

10. Sep 2, 2016 #9

Dale

Both of those views of time are philosophical interpretations, and they are determined by one's philosophical preferences rather than any scientific evidence. I believe that the philosophical literature calls them A series and B series.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-series_and_B-series

But either are compatible with both the evidence and the math of relativity and quantum mechanics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted