Quartz Crystal Microbalance equilibrium

1. Hi guys,

I am a new user of QCM and I am having trouble reaching equilibrium. I have isolated the chamber from air flows and vibrations, the crystals are clean and all the other removable parts have been cleaned as well.
    The real problem is that sometimes I have managed to reach equilibrium by doing the exact same steps but 4/5 tries the frequency just giggles around in both air and water interfaces.

I do not know what else to try.

If any experienced users of QCM have suggestions, they would be very welcome and I would be very thankful.
  2. jcsd
  3. I'm assuming you're using it for monitoring deposited film thickness?

If you tell me which company made your quartz crystal monitor, I'll see what I can scrounge up.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  4. UltrafastPED

UltrafastPED 1,912
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How are you pumping down the system to achieve a vacuum? Your vibration isolation may be insufficient. Or your station is picking up vibrations from another external source, particularly if you are located in an upper floor of a building.

If those are not the answer, there may be a problem with the mounting of the crystal.

There are other possibilities. Is this a new system?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted