Quaternions and metric of the 3-sphere

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mnb96
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Metric Quaternions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
mnb96
Messages
711
Reaction score
5
Hello,
let's supppose I am given a unit-quaternion q expressed as an element of [tex]\mathcal{C}\ell_{0,2}(\mathbb{R})[/tex] as follows:

[tex]\mathit{q} = a + b \mathbf{e_1} + c \mathbf{e_2} + d \mathbf{e_{12}}[/tex]

I now rearrange the terms in the following way:

[tex]\mathit{q} = (a + d \mathbf{e_{12}}) + \mathbf{e_1}(b - c \mathbf{e_{12}})[/tex]

The terms inside the brackets can be seen as ordinary complex numbers [tex]r_1e^{i\theta}[/itex] and [tex]r_2e^{i\phi}[/tex], so that <i>q</i> is an element of [itex]\mathbb{C}^2[/itex].<br /> <br /> Since <i>q</i> is a unit quaternion we must have that [tex](r_1)^2 + (r_2)^2 = 1[/tex].<br /> Recalling that [itex]r_1[/itex][/tex][itex]and [itex]r_2[/tex] are non-negative, we can parametrize them with an auxiliary angle [tex]\psi \in [0,\pi / 2][/tex]<br /> <br /> [tex]r_1 = \cos\psi[/tex]<br /> [tex]r_2 = \sin\psi[/tex]<br /> <br /> We have: [tex]\mathit{q} = \left( \cos\psi e^{i\theta}, \sin\psi e^{i\phi} \right)[/tex]<br /> <br /> <b>*** question: ***</b> when i compute the metric on the 3-sphere I obtain the well-known form:<br /> <br /> [tex]ds^2 = d\psi^2 + \cos^2\psi d\theta^2 + \sin^2\psi d\phi^2[/tex].<br /> <br /> But now, [itex]\psi \in [0,\pi/2][/itex], and [itex]\theta,\phi \in [0,2\pi][/itex] which is not correct because other sources says that [itex]\psi[/itex] is in the range [itex][0,\pi][/itex].<br /> <br /> Where is the mistake?[/itex][/itex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok...it doesn't matter.
Actually I think there might no mistake, in fact I've just noticed that Hopf coordinates are defined with the same ranges as I have used.