Quaternions and metric of the 3-sphere

In summary, unit quaternion q can be expressed as a complex number and parametrized with an auxiliary angle in order to obtain the well-known form for the metric on the 3-sphere. There may not be a mistake in the ranges used for the angles as they are consistent with Hopf coordinates.
mnb96
Hello,
let's supppose I am given a unit-quaternion q expressed as an element of [tex]\mathcal{C}\ell_{0,2}(\mathbb{R})[/tex] as follows:

[tex]\mathit{q} = a + b \mathbf{e_1} + c \mathbf{e_2} + d \mathbf{e_{12}}[/tex]

I now rearrange the terms in the following way:

[tex]\mathit{q} = (a + d \mathbf{e_{12}}) + \mathbf{e_1}(b - c \mathbf{e_{12}})[/tex]

The terms inside the brackets can be seen as ordinary complex numbers [tex]r_1e^{i\theta}[/itex] and [tex]r_2e^{i\phi}[/tex], so that q is an element of [itex]\mathbb{C}^2[/itex].

Since q is a unit quaternion we must have that [tex](r_1)^2 + (r_2)^2 = 1[/tex].
Recalling that [itex]r_1[/tex] and [itex]r_2[/tex] are non-negative, we can parametrize them with an auxiliary angle [tex]\psi \in [0,\pi / 2][/tex]

[tex]r_1 = \cos\psi[/tex]
[tex]r_2 = \sin\psi[/tex]

We have: [tex]\mathit{q} = \left( \cos\psi e^{i\theta}, \sin\psi e^{i\phi} \right)[/tex]

*** question: *** when i compute the metric on the 3-sphere I obtain the well-known form:

[tex]ds^2 = d\psi^2 + \cos^2\psi d\theta^2 + \sin^2\psi d\phi^2[/tex].

But now, [itex]\psi \in [0,\pi/2][/itex], and [itex]\theta,\phi \in [0,2\pi][/itex] which is not correct because other sources says that [itex]\psi[/itex] is in the range [itex][0,\pi][/itex].

Where is the mistake?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok...it doesn't matter.
Actually I think there might no mistake, in fact I've just noticed that Hopf coordinates are defined with the same ranges as I have used.

1. What are quaternions?

Quaternions are a type of mathematical object that extends the concept of complex numbers to four dimensions. They are represented as a combination of a scalar and a vector and are often used in 3D graphics and physics calculations.

2. What is the 3-sphere?

The 3-sphere, also known as the 3-dimensional hypersphere, is a mathematical object that extends the concept of a sphere into a higher dimension. It is defined as the set of all points in 4-dimensional space that are a fixed distance from a central point.

3. How are quaternions used in the metric of the 3-sphere?

In the metric of the 3-sphere, quaternions are used to represent rotations in 4-dimensional space. This allows for a more efficient and elegant way to perform calculations and transformations on the 3-sphere.

4. What is the significance of quaternions and the 3-sphere in physics?

Quaternions and the 3-sphere have been used in various areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. They provide a mathematical framework for describing rotations and transformations in higher dimensions.

5. Are quaternions and the metric of the 3-sphere relevant in everyday life?

While quaternions and the 3-sphere may not have direct applications in everyday life, they are essential in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and celestial mechanics. They also have theoretical significance in mathematics and physics.