Linearised gravity approach to Lense Thirring metric

ergospherical
Doing some revision and getting confused. It's under GR but may as well be under electromagnetism or calculus because that is where the problem is. Taking a shell of mass ##\rho = M\delta(r-R)/(4\pi R^2)## and four velocity corresponding to rotation about ##z## axis i.e. ##U = (1, -\omega y, \omega x, 0)##. Looking at the ##\bar{h}_{i0}## component, say, the Green's function solution if I remember right,
$$\bar{h}_{i0} = -4 \int \frac{T_{i0}(\mathbf{x}')}{|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}'|} d^3 \mathbf{x}'$$And I can take a multipole expansion
$$\frac{1}{|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}'|} = \frac{1}{r} + \frac{\mathbf{x} \cdot \mathbf{x}'}{r^3} + \dots$$
Start with ##i = x##, where ##U_x = \omega y##

$$\bar{h}_{x0} = -\frac{4M \omega}{r}\int \frac{\delta(r'-R)}{4\pi R^2} y' \ d^3 \mathbf{x}' - \frac{4M \omega}{r^3} \mathbf{x} \cdot \int \mathbf{x}' \frac{\delta(r'-R)}{4\pi R^2} y' \ d^3\mathbf{x}' + \dots$$
So look at the first term. With ##d^3 \mathbf{x}' = r'^2 \sin{\theta'} dr' d\theta' d\phi'## and putting also ##y' = r' \sin{\phi'}##, then the integral over ##\phi'## from ##0 \rightarrow 2\pi## is going to zero.

With the second term, look at the part$$\mathbf{I} = \int \mathbf{x}' \frac{\delta(r'-R)}{4\pi R^2} y' \ d^3\mathbf{x}'$$Then $$I_{x'} = \int x' y' \frac{\delta(r'-R)}{4\pi R^2} d^3 \mathbf{x}$$and ##x'y' = r'^2 \sin{\phi'} \cos{\phi'}## is also going to go to zero when integrated over ##\phi'##, same story for the other two components. What's the issue?

Physics news on Phys.org
ergospherical said:
four velocity corresponding to rotation about ##z## axis i.e. ##U = (1, -\omega y, \omega x, 0)##.
The ##t## component of 4-velocity can't be ##1## if any of the other components are nonzero; the 4-velocity has to be a unit vector.

ergospherical said:
With the second term, look at the part$$\mathbf{I} = \int \mathbf{x}' \frac{\delta(r'-R)}{4\pi R^2} y' \ d^3\mathbf{x}'$$Then $$I_{x'} = \int x' y' \frac{\delta(r'-R)}{4\pi R^2} d^3 \mathbf{x}$$and ##x'y' = r'^2 \sin{\phi'} \cos{\phi'}## is also going to go to zero when integrated over ##\phi'##, same story for the other two components. What's the issue?
Typo: You should have ##x'y' = r'^2 \sin^2 \theta' \sin{\phi'} \cos{\phi'}##. But, still, the ##\phi'## integration for ##I_{x'}## will be zero .

But for ##I_y'##, you will deal with ##y'y' = r'^2 \sin^2 \theta' \sin ^2 {\phi'} ##. Integrating over ##\phi'## will no longer give zero.

Likes berkeman
Thanks for spotting the error. I get ##I_y = R^2/3## which gives $$h_{x0} = \bar{h}_{x0} = -\frac{4}{3} \frac{MR^2 \omega y}{r^3}$$and I think this makes sense as the result because if ##L \sim MR^2 \omega## then I remember roughly that the vector potential should go like ##\mathbf{L} \times \mathbf{x}/r^3##. You'd also get $$h_{y0}=\bar{h}_{y0} = \frac{4}{3} \frac{MR^2 \omega x}{r^3}$$Also, close to the shell, ##r \sim R##, the size of the perturbation looks like ##\sim (4/3) \phi \omega x^i## with ##\phi = GM/R##. But taking ##r \rightarrow 0## you get divergence of the metric, which can't be right, although I'd still have expected it to be weak field there?

ergospherical said:
Doing some revision and getting confused. It's under GR but may as well be under electromagnetism or calculus because that is where the problem is. Taking a shell of mass ##\rho = M\delta(r-R)/(4\pi R^2)## and four velocity corresponding to rotation about ##z## axis i.e. ##U = (1, -\omega y, \omega x, 0)##. Looking at the ##\bar{h}_{i0}## component, say, the Green's function solution if I remember right,
$$\bar{h}_{i0} = -4 \int \frac{T_{i0}(\mathbf{x}')}{|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}'|} d^3 \mathbf{x}'$$And I can take a multipole expansion
$$\frac{1}{|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}'|} = \frac{1}{r} + \frac{\mathbf{x} \cdot \mathbf{x}'}{r^3} + \dots$$
The form of the expansion depends on whether ##r > r'## or ##r < r'##. Grabbing my copy of Jackson's E&M text, I find $$\frac{1}{|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}'|} = \sum_{l = 0}^{\infty} \frac{r_<^l}{r_>^{l+1}}P_l(\cos \gamma)$$ where ##r_< \, (r_>)## is the smaller (larger) of ##r## and ##r'##. ##P_l## are the Legendre polynomials and ##\gamma## is the angle between ##\mathbf{x}## and ##\mathbf{x}'##. Your expression for the expansion would be for ##r > r'## (corresponding to ##\mathbf{x}## being outside the shell).

There's also the need to justify dropping the higher-order terms in the expansion.

The integral $$\bar{h}_{i0} = -4 \int \frac{T_{i0}(\mathbf{x}')}{|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}'|} d^3 \mathbf{x}'$$ can be done without a series expansion. With ##T_{i0} = \rho \;\boldsymbol{\omega} \times \mathbf{x}'##, the key part is the evaluation of $$\int \rho(r') \frac{\mathbf{x}'}{|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}'|} d^3x'$$ Choose spherical coordinates with the z-axis along ##\mathbf{x}## (not along ##\boldsymbol{\omega}##). So, in this integration, ##\theta '## is the angle between ##\mathbf x'## and ##\mathbf x##.The angular part of the integration is $$ \mathbf{I} = \int \frac{\mathbf{x}'}{|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}'|} d\Omega'= \int_0^\pi d\theta' \sin \theta' \int_0^{2 \pi} d \phi' \frac{\mathbf x'}{\sqrt{r^2-2rr'\cos\theta' + r'^2}}$$ You can show that only the z-component survives the ##\phi'## integration. I get $$I_z = \frac {4 \pi} 3 \frac {r'^2}{r^2} \,\,\,\, \text{for } r > r'$$ $$I_z = \frac {4 \pi} 3 \frac {r}{r'} \,\,\,\, \text{for } r < r'$$

Last edited:
Likes ergospherical
TSny said:
I get $$I_z = \frac {4 \pi} 3 \frac {r'^2}{r^2} \,\,\,\, \text{for } r > r'$$ $$I_z = \frac {4 \pi} 3 \frac {r}{r'} \,\,\,\, \text{for } r < r'$$
This result shows that the integral ## \mathbf{I} = \int \dfrac{\mathbf{x}'}{|\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{x}'|} d\Omega'## has a direction along the z-axis that was chosen to compute the integral. This z-axis was chosen along ##\mathbf{x}##. So, ##\mathbf{I}## is along ##\mathbf{x}##. The result for ##\mathbf{I}## can be written $$\mathbf{I} = \frac {4 \pi r'^2} {3 r^2} \hat {\mathbf{x}}\,\,\,\, \text{for } r > r'$$ $$\mathbf{I}= \frac {4 \pi r} {3 r'} \hat {\mathbf{x}}\,\,\,\, \text{for } r < r'$$