Question about a new section of the forum

• Thread starter dreiter
  • Start date
Hi everyone! I know I'm not a major player here, but I figured I would chip in and ask about the possibility of adding a 'Nutritional Science' section to the site, maybe under the biology section or some such? Essentially this could be for discussions about health/fitness/food. I am a big nutrition science geek, and there are very few forums with this number of intelligent members and motivated posters So it's just a thought. :)

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We get this kind of suggestion now and then, but there is rarely enough people interested in the subjects to justify making a new forum. I think it would be appropriate if you make nutrition threads in the Medical Sciences forum.

It's something I'm interested in but I don't know much about it, so I'd be happy to see them. Who knows, if there is a huge interest, it may get its own forum sometime in the future.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Hi everyone! I know I'm not a major player here, but I figured I would chip in and ask about the possibility of adding a 'Nutritional Science' section to the site, maybe under the biology section or some such? Essentially this could be for discussions about health/fitness/food. I am a big nutrition science geek, and there are very few forums with this number of intelligent members and motivated posters So it's just a thought. :)
As lisab has stated, we simply cannot create a new forum each time a member thinks it is a good idea. There has to be (i) a demand for it and (ii) a large frequency of posting related to that area.

Zz.

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
lisab (and ZapperZ) said exactly the right thing. You can make threads in the Biology or the Medical Sciences subforum, whichever is appropriate for the particular topic. Just remember that the discussions must be science based and the sources for information that are used must be of good quality (not some commercial or private website). I'm looking forward to your input :smile:

Evo

Mentor
I'd like to see nutritional fads, myths, and misinformation debunked.

Fair enough! I think the Medical Sciences section has the majority of nutrition-related threads, so I will probably start there. Good day!

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Hi, dreiter!

Personally, I have suggested a "pedagogics forum", meant for teachers/supervisors at various levels.

However, I have come to agree with the PF policy that sub-forums are created on demand basis, rather than on a "bright idea" basis.

Evo

Mentor

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Will this do?
We call it broad-jaw in norweedish:
[PLAIN]http://assets.wwf.no/img/breiflabb_minsk_39824.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Evo

Mentor
Will this do?
We call it broad-jaw in norweedish:
[PLAIN]http://assets.wwf.no/img/breiflabb_minsk_39824.jpg[/QUOTE]Is [Broken] that an angler fish? That will be nice for more serious infractions. Help me carry that over to the PF freezer?

Last edited by a moderator:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Is that an angler fish? That will be nice for more serious infractions. Help me carry that over to the PF freezer?
Phew, my mistress is merciful.

I guess I DO deserve a slap from this fellow, though:
holtanfisk2.jpg

PS:
It is called "common minnow" in engrish, I think..

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Is that an angler fish?
It is of the angler fish family, and bears the charming names:
"fishing-frog, frog-fish or sea-devil"