Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about a Theorem in Gallian's Contemporary Abstract Algebra

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    Question about a Theorem in Gallian's "Contemporary Abstract Algebra"

I'm using this book as a reference for my Algebra course, and there's a lemma in the book that is really confusing me.

It is on Page 102 of the Sixth Edition, for those who have the book.

The lemma states:

If [tex]\epsilon=\beta_1\beta_2\cdots\beta_r[/tex] where the [tex]\beta 's[/tex] are 2-cycles, then r is even.

The author states that it is a special case of the theorem which says: if a permutation A can be expressed as a product of an even(odd) number of 2-cycles, then every decomp. of A into a product of 2-cyles must have an even(odd) number of 2-cycles.

But doesn't the lemma state that every cycle can be written as a product of an even number of two cycles? I'm confused, and I'm not following the proof of the lemma.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2
    Re: Question about a Theorem in Gallian's "Contemporary Abstract Algebra"

I apologize. Turns out that [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is the identity permutation.

4. Oct 12, 2008 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Question about a Theorem in Gallian's "Contemporary Abstract Algebra"

Haha, I saw your post and had the book out (see my thread) and I was thinking the same thing at first glance, but then it's like... wait a second, e is the identity. It's not written like the typical e like the rest of the book, so I can understand the confusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?