1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about a Theorem in Gallian's Contemporary Abstract Algebra

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    Question about a Theorem in Gallian's "Contemporary Abstract Algebra"

I'm using this book as a reference for my Algebra course, and there's a lemma in the book that is really confusing me.

It is on Page 102 of the Sixth Edition, for those who have the book.

The lemma states:

If [tex]\epsilon=\beta_1\beta_2\cdots\beta_r[/tex] where the [tex]\beta 's[/tex] are 2-cycles, then r is even.

The author states that it is a special case of the theorem which says: if a permutation A can be expressed as a product of an even(odd) number of 2-cycles, then every decomp. of A into a product of 2-cyles must have an even(odd) number of 2-cycles.

But doesn't the lemma state that every cycle can be written as a product of an even number of two cycles? I'm confused, and I'm not following the proof of the lemma.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2
    Re: Question about a Theorem in Gallian's "Contemporary Abstract Algebra"

I apologize. Turns out that [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is the identity permutation.

4. Oct 12, 2008 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Question about a Theorem in Gallian's "Contemporary Abstract Algebra"

Haha, I saw your post and had the book out (see my thread) and I was thinking the same thing at first glance, but then it's like... wait a second, e is the identity. It's not written like the typical e like the rest of the book, so I can understand the confusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?